Author Topic: Carrying water while hunting?  (Read 8785 times)

Offline punch

Carrying water while hunting?
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:14:19 am »
I always struggle with carrying water when hunting.  I just don't have enough room with a canteen.   I live in southern California a litter of water is not enough.   I can get by with 1.5 litters but I really want to be able to carry 2+ litters.  So how do you carry enough water? Also I have been considering getting a hydration pack like a camelbak ambush.  Will a hydration pack work with a plains style quiver?

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: Carrying water while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:13 am »
I'm in So. Cal. as well. With our environment it's just not possible to hunt without carrying a fairly good amount of water. Wether I'm hunting here or in Arizona I use a hydration pack with 2.5-3 liters of water. If I'm not going far I use a Camelbak that I normally use when mt. biking. If I'll be out all day I have a larger pack that also takes the water bladder.
I don't see why a plains style quiver wouldn't work. I usually use a leather tube I made that can be lashed to the side of my pack and holds 4-6 arrows. Coupled with two broadheads in a bow quiver I'm pretty well set.

Guy

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:07 am »
I should try a hydration pack.  I had a bota bag that was great for a while, but it was not super high quality and sprung a leak.  It was a two liter bag though.

Offline Loope

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
Your area is much more dry than where I am in TN, so this may not be an option.  But when I hunt areas that I know have water, I take water treatment tablets and a 1 quart water bottle.  Get to a stream and drink all your water whether you are thirsty or not, and refill and treat the water.  Otherwise, a hydration pack is nice and low profile.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:14 am »
I carry the same 11 oz water bottle all season ;). Course its cold that gets you up here, not thirst.

I don't own a hydration pack. I have heard good and bad, more bad. Have you looked at those giant Nalgene bottles? I believe they are 60 oz. I have one for backpacking. I carry in a full small Nalgene. Once there, I fill my giant Nalgene for camp water each day. You could clip them to the outside of your pack or waste belt. If you had access to water, Id day buy a $90 filter and just fill up a 32 oz bottle when you needed it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
You may want to stash water in your hunting area for the times you need it. If you bury it, it should be fine for a few months anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »
You may want to stash water in your hunting area for the times you need it. If you bury it, it should be fine for a few months anyway.

Couple of my favorite turkey canyons have gallons of water squirreled away and some have been there for years.  Now if I could only remember where....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »
I don't usually carry water with me. Down here in the swamps you can usually find wild orange, grapefruit or tangerine trees. And they are mostly  ripe during hunting season.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:30:48 pm »
I don't usually carry water with me. Down here in the swamps you can usually find wild orange, grapefruit or tangerine trees. And they are mostly  ripe during hunting season.

That's downright cruel, Eddie. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:33:15 pm »
  The wild oranges that we had down in the Big Cypress swamp, would turn your lip back over your ears.  They were some kinda sour!  Made good whiskey sours though.  With a LOT of sugar.  Never found any tangerines.
                                  Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:46:36 pm »
They are sour here to, Wayne, except I know where three trees are that are sweet. I use the sour ones to make Mojo Criolla, and when the pigs eat them you don't have to marinate.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline punch

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:45 am »
Since we have been in drought for a good 5 yrs there really isn't much water around.  There are a few pools but nothing I would consider drinking.  Also the ground is really hard now.  I would need to bring a pick axe along to bury any water.  I think I just need to find a decent backpack or hydration pack.  It's really been dry out even in the fall/winter months.  Really anything less than 2 liters is not enough for a days hunt even a 1/2 day in the fall might not be enough on our warm days.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 02:47:48 pm »
gallons of water squirreled away ...  Now if I could only remember where....

Interesting choice of words...  :laugh:
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »
I have to backpack water in to my desert  camps and I have gallons stashed, I also like the water bottles with built in filters so If I find a small water source I can drink all I want and take a bottle away with me. For the most part a couple of pint bottles will see me thru the day. Oh and I have come to the conclusion that dehydrated meals are not that big of a deal if you have to pack in water to re hydrate them.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 09:14:26 pm »
I have to backpack water in to my desert  camps and I have gallons stashed, I also like the water bottles with built in filters so If I find a small water source I can drink all I want and take a bottle away with me. For the most part a couple of pint bottles will see me thru the day. Oh and I have come to the conclusion that dehydrated meals are not that big of a deal if you have to pack in water to re hydrate them.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell