Author Topic: a philosophical question. . .  (Read 4112 times)

Offline jeffp51

a philosophical question. . .
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »
. . .when can someone be considered a bowyer,  instead of just someone who has made or likes to make bows?

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
Re: a philosophical question. . .
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:49 am »
Maybe one and the same?  :o
Respect your elders!!!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:25 am »
No one talks you up better than yourself... Does it really matter the title if you're having fun and getting some sort of enjoyment out of it. All that matters to me if the bow is predictable and reliable.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:33:14 am »
the title isn't important, I think--and you may have more fun as a maker of bows than as a "bowyer" my question is maybe one of skill level.  What is true master-level bowyery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:24 am »
  If you are in a bar picking up on chicks you call yourself a bowyer, if you are at a primitive gathering you just give your name.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:24:24 am »
Hahaha. Chicks dig bowyers.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:31:17 am »
Ah Grasshopper...
The answer lies within yourself,
Look deep into your soul and you will have your answer.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:57:31 am »
This question come up from time to time, I guess it is like Del said. I worked on cars and trucks form the time I can remember and started in a shop making a living at it by the time I was 18 but still took me years before I called myself a mechanic so I guess everyone is different, I just build wood bows, that's it for me. :) to me it is when you truly master all aspects of wood bows and I am not sure when or if that will ever happen to me so as I said I just build wood bows.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:00 am »
    Like Pappy I spent my life as a mechanic and running truck repair shops. On several occasions over the years I was asked to write a job description for the different levels of mechanics. This was usually because we had younger mechanics who felt they should be getting full journeyman wage.

It usually came down to being able to perform most any job we had the equipment to perform in a reasonable amount of time. And knowing how to use the books and follow instructions. Without assistance.

Truth is we all needed assistance from time to time. I believe we have plenty of bowyers on this sight and others who would meet that standard.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:45:52 am »
I have only made three successful bows and lately I've been struggling with building bows so I do not call myself a bowyer.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:20 am »
If it is something that consumes your every waking breath, you are a bowyer. If you still have a wife and kids that talk to you, you make bows!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:32 am »
I like Badgers first reply...but at my age I guess I'll never be a bowyer again.  ;D
What's in a name...a rose by any other name still smells as sweet!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:00 pm »
I considered myself a bowyer when I made bows for archers that used my bows for competition and hunting with success and reliability,, I am sure there are other definitions that are appropriate,,I only make bows for fun now,,so maybe I am a retired bowyer :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »
I don't consider myself a bowyer, Im just a dude that  likes to make bows from wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »
If I had to define a bowyer I would think that person could pick up a piece of wood and make a safe and functioning bow that meets the draw length and weight that he intended it to be.  Just about anybody can make a piece of wood bend and tie a string on it.  It takes a bowyer to look at a stave and see the 50# @ 28" bow inside and then build that bow. 

Last year I made a bow for a guy and he killed a deer with it.  That gave me a big feeling of accomplishment as a bow builder.  Even though I had killed deer with my bows it meant more for me when someone else did it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left