Author Topic: What might be done with these components?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
What might be done with these components?
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:15 am »
Seeking ideas on how to use all or some of following 3 components to form a new bow.

thin piece of jatoba. 63" length x  just 0.3" thick . . . front profile is cut . . . 1.5" wide to 15 1/2" from tips, then taper to 1/2.
thicker hard maple slat.  67" x 1 3/4 x .45
very thin pc of hard maple.  63 1/2 x 1 3/4 x .15

Draw weight/length objective is 45-47 @ 25".

Whatcha recommend?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badger

Re: What might be done with these components?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:19 am »
  jatoba is a nice belly wood but requires absolutely perfect tillering or it will chrysal. The maple can be used as core and backing if the grain is straight. maple is also a decent belly wood but not one of my top choices.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:41 am »
Yup...maple backed jatoba with a maple core tri lam....since the jatoba is kinda thin id make it a slight bend in the handle at the very least...no gluing on a stiff handle. Make it no wider than 1 1/8". Tiller it good.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »
Yup...maple backed jatoba with a maple core tri lam....since the jatoba is kinda thin id make it a slight bend in the handle at the very least...no gluing on a stiff handle. Make it no wider than 1 1/8". Tiller it good.

X2😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:06:27 pm »
Ok, flex-in-the-handle tri lam will be the plan.
And narrow width to 1 1/8".
Glue-in reflexed limbs or leave flat? The thicker pc of maple has a bit of reflex 'cause it was once glued to red elm backing.
I usually do 6" long glued-on static flipped tips. OK, or decreased length of working limb a risk?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline snedeker

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:01:11 pm »
I'd use the jatoba as the core, the thin maple as backing, and the thick maple as belly.  63" long, 1.5 wide, rigid handle with 8" fade area.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:35:04 pm »
Are you just trying to sneak up on us, Dave.  ;D    Haven't seen you around for quite a while. Hope all I well with you.

Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:59 pm »
I decided to look in and couldn't resist the issue of the jatoba and maple.   I'm well and hope you and all the old buddies are too

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 06:07:56 pm »

Jatoba is glued to the thicker maple slat. Total thickness of the 2 is about .79". Limb width is a bit greater than 1 1/8" until 12" from tips, and then taper to 1/2". This sucker is STIIIIFFF.

Move beginning of taper further toward middle, or reduce thickness of maple, or both?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 06:17:22 pm »
Yes, ...both.

OneBow