Author Topic: Pikiing a longbow  (Read 6347 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Pikiing a longbow
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:48:58 pm »
I'm helping a friend tiller a osage bow and it is coming in under weight.  It is about 53# at 27" but needs quite a bit of tillering and he is looking for about 60# at 27"   I figure I need to add about 15-20# to get enough weight on the bow to tiller it properly.  It is 68 " overall right now.  Does taking off about 2 1/4 inches from each limb sound about right.

Thanks for any advice.
Rick
Traverse City, MI

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Pikiing a longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:57:10 pm »
I'm helping a friend tiller a osage bow and it is coming in under weight.  It is about 53# at 27" but needs quite a bit of tillering and he is looking for about 60# at 27"   I figure I need to add about 15-20# to get enough weight on the bow to tiller it properly.  It is 68 " overall right now.  Does taking off about 2 1/4 inches from each limb sound about right.

Thanks for any advice.
Rick

I could be wrong, but I'd tiller it out to even up the limbs first, then see where you're at.  Piking won't help if the tiller is still toast!

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:20:39 pm »
The tiller isn't toast, I  just need to get it bending more smoothly, but there isn't enough weight to do so.  So I thought if I shortened the limbs this would increase the potential draw weight. Then I would have enough "extra weight" , and that would allow me to clean up the tiller and still come in at the desired weight.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:20 am »
According to my math, cutting 1 3/4 inches off each limb tip will increase it 15# making it 68#. Cutting 2 1/4  off each limb would bring you in around 70-71#. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:35:31 am »
I useually only get about 3-5 pounds per inch of each limb, but I never pike untill I'm satisfied with tiller, even then after pikeing, you still need to tweek the tiller.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:40:21 am »
I useually only get about 3-5 pounds per inch of each limb, but I never pike untill I'm satisfied with tiller, even then after pikeing, you still need to tweek the tiller.
Dano, that is pretty dang close on this one.  1 3/4 on each limb is 3 1/2 total yielding about 15# or 4 1/4# per inch.  It all depends on what percentage of the bow you are cutting off.  If it is a short bow it increases more than a long bow. 

I also think you should get the tiller as close as you can and only remove what is necessary.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:47:56 am »
I'd also suggest tillering the bow out before piking it. If it still comes out light, he'll have to build another. I'm sure there is a kid in his neighborhood that needs a bow. ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:59:55 am »
Justin, I get lucky sometimes  ;)

I'm an aweful lot like Pat,  ::) If it comes in light, make a kid happy.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:47:39 am »
Thanks for the advice.  We'll give it a try today, and like you said maybey it's some kids lucky day. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:17:02 am »
53# at 27" sounds perfect ;) ;D for me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:45:54 pm »
rick if it comes in too light even after you piked it you can flip the tips a bit. this will raise poundage and decrease the string angle youll get with the shorter bow. peace

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 02:24:04 pm »
We tillered it to 47# @27"... the tiller was looking really good.  Both limbs were bending smoothly.  No flat spots, no hinges etc.. Then we cut off an inch and 3/4 from each end, strung it, drew it once to about 18-20" and... Do you think we can sinew it or possibly make it a takedown? ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 02:57:56 pm »
There sure has been a rash of breakages lately, I think I will take abreak because it seems to be catchy. :D
Tough break eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 03:07:53 pm »
Was this a stave or a board bow?  Looks like there was grain violations on the back and that is where it blew...or it was strung backwards. ???      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 05:03:39 pm »
Dana M - I agree a break sound good.
Pat B- there wasn't any grain violations the pic shows mostly the belly, and it wasn't strung backwards (I asked)  I have no idea what happened. ???
I figure I can make a nice 30" D bow for my boy out of the intact limb.  He's only 14 months old so it should be about right.

Traverse City, MI