Author Topic: Lightweight arrows  (Read 4747 times)

Offline DC

Lightweight arrows
« on: August 22, 2015, 08:27:11 pm »
What methods are used to make light arrows? My bows are about 37-40# so 10 GPP make for 370-400 grains. My arrows are 30" so I could lose 2", that would help but if I want to get down to 8 GPP I'm looking at 300 grains. My arrows now average about 400 grains with a 125 point. Will an arrow fly right with a 50 grain point? I use bamboo garden states and any time I have noticed a shaft being light in my hand it has broken while straightening. Is there a better shaft material, I haven't found any cane in this area.
Thanks

Offline warpath

Re: Lightweight arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:13:35 pm »
Usually if it feels really light and breaks while straightening, it was too dry to begin with. Try rehydrating with oil or soaking in water right before straightening. Anyone else have any helpful hints?

G

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:54:34 pm »
Make some dowels from 2x4 lumber marked HEM - FIR and with very straight grain and at least 10 rings per inch.   You can also use the DOUG - FIR but it will be heavier.  If I remember correctly, I've got some of these that are around 240 - 280 grains that are spined for 40# - 50#.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:41:10 pm »
Well I live in the right spot. :) This is where they log that stuff. I can drive out on some of the old logging roads and pick up a block of old growth Hemlock or Fir. I'll put that on my to-do list

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:30 am »
Cool.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »
"will an arrow fly right with a 50 grain point?" It might if you make it longer. This is kinda like the thread where Eric Jensen is asking about spine advice. To make a lightly spined arrow which is 8gpp, you either need a really lightly spined shaft,or a really long shaft. Either that, or just hide the effect of an overly stiff arrow by using big feathers. Bamboo may not be the best choice for a shaft like this- the skinny ones are often just 1 year old and therefore easy to break.  As Jack says, dowelled fir or Sitka spruce may be good.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:11 pm »
Or you could use horseweed :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:16 pm »
Horseweed makes a good arrow and about now is a good time to collect it...real horseweed not giant ragweed.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:07:59 pm »
Haven't seen any of that around here. Wikipedia says worldwide distribution but in a recent survey(my wife and I) nobody recognized it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01:46 pm »
Horseweed makes a good arrow and about now is a good time to collect it...real horseweed not giant ragweed.  ;D

Ok pat I'll bite.......what is the difference in the two???
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:30:41 pm »
Which one has the bright, yellow flowers? If that's horse weed I'd rather use Dog Fennel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:05 am »
Ragweed, whether it be the giant variety or regular ole ragweed is what most people are allergic to from now til frost.
Horseweed doesn't have bright flowers, grows especially in waste areas.
 Google "horseweed". Lots of pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC