Author Topic: Bending arrows  (Read 2086 times)

Offline DC

Bending arrows
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:37 pm »
I've seen where guys straighten arrows with a hook or screwdriver by compressing the wood on the outside side of the bend. I tried this on my bamboo arrows and it didn't seem to work. Has anyone else noticed this?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bending arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:14:43 am »
I use a heat gun and an arrow roller by Ace that works pretty good for me, I heat a bit and roll
the arrow to get the high  side up on a hard surface and the roll with my the tool and it works
good, I also use it to heat and compress the joints instead of filing or sanding them down.  :) Some of the tools I use, the roller is right in front of the arrows. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:46:57 am »
I haven't tried it yet, but I heard you can also get good results using a glass bottle to compress the fibers on the high side to straighten shafts.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »
I use a heat gun and an arrow roller by Ace that works pretty good for me, I heat a bit and roll
the arrow to get the high  side up on a hard surface and the roll with my the tool and it works
good, I also use it to heat and compress the joints instead of filing or sanding them down.  :) Some of the tools I use, the roller is right in front of the arrows. :)
Pappy
I never thought of using heat and a roller together. Good idea!   I'll make a roller this morning and give it a shot.
 I start out by setting my gas barbecue at 400 degrees. Then I put the garden stakes in the rotisserie hole. I can heat the whole arrow in one shot. I use this to roughly straighten them. It works very well. 30 seconds at 400 and they turn into noodles :). Then I take the smaller bends out with a heat gun and arrow straightener. It is just the last little wiggles I was having trouble with. Your heat and roller method should do it.  Thanks Pappy!   Have you had any luck using the roller and an unheated arrow?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:42 pm »
On wood I don't use heat for small bend very much but Cain I usually use heat. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good