Author Topic: Antler Overlays  (Read 5641 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Antler Overlays
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:16:32 pm »
I had some spare deer antlers lying around and thought, "why dont I try and make some overlays out of these", I have never tryed using antler as an overlay and was wondering, what are its glueing properties? how do I best flatten the side of the horn that will be glued to the bow?

here are some pics if that helps.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Antler Overlays
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:33:19 pm »
A stationary belt sander works like a treat for this job, ...but you may want to plug your nasal passages first!

...cause it will STINK UP the joint!

OneBow

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »
I put a tine in the vice and saw it in half lengthwise with a bone saw. The I use the stationary belt sander to flatten the pieces.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
Seeing as how I dont have a bone saw nor a sationary belt sander, would a hacksaw and some 60 grit sandpaper do the trick? could I use tb3 on the overlays or do I have to use something else?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
I also use a beltsander but when I didn't have one I just carefully cut it in half and cleaned it up with a sanding block. Never used anything but gel superglue to put it on.
Springfield, MO

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:10:15 pm »
Once cut open and the inside is exposed, and flattened to your liking, you will have better luck if you seal the pithy inner core w super glue, let it dry, and then glue to the bow.  Russ

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:12:03 pm »
Would it be possible to do this sealing with tb3 and glue to the bow with the same?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:17:59 pm »
Would it be possible to do this sealing with tb3 and glue to the bow with the same?

You could try it and let us know.  I've never seen anyone do it that way, but I'd think it would not be the best idea.  I'm told that TB3 never truly hardens up completely and that it can stretch or slip some.  Since you have so much pressure against so little of a glued surface, it could prove problematic, ...but I won't say impossible

I'd suggest either a good quality gel type CA glue or an epoxy type glue.

OneBow

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:33 pm »
A hacksaw and sand paper will do the trick.  just make sure the antler and bow are flush before gluing them together.  I have used tb3 to glue up antler tip over lays this way and it worked fine for me.
Northern Ute

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »
I just went outside and flattened the horn out, the hacksaw and sandpaper worked well, thanks for the replies, I will be gluing them to the bow in a few weeks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »
I reverse wrap duct tap over a few fingers and stick the antler, horn or wood to it. It wont move, slide or go flying that way. I always use super glue for horn or antler. Two reasons. It fills the pithy center like big Russ mentioned, and because it flows unlike TB3. Also, TB3 will creep and super glue wont. Nobody likes a creep. A fella on another site can watch his hickory back creep over the osage core, then back again after he un-braces it. Yeesh...
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:01 pm »
I reverse wrap duct tap over a few fingers and stick the antler, horn or wood to it. It wont move, slide or go flying that way. I always use super glue for horn or antler. Two reasons. It fills the pithy center like big Russ mentioned, and because it flows unlike TB3. Also, TB3 will creep and super glue wont. Nobody likes a creep. A fella on another site can watch his hickory back creep over the osage core, then back again after he un-braces it. Yeesh...
Wow Chris that would be something to experience , never seen that but again I've always used super glue.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:58 pm »
I've only used TBIII with good luck.  I've never noticed any pith to the antlers I've cut, they've all been solid.  I've got a Wyoming saw with a bone blade, man it eats through antler so much easier than a hacksaw.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:07 pm »
 I could not see any pith to my antlers either, they were solid the whole way. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 07:44:21 am »
The pith starts father towards the base. The first 2-5" of tip is usually solid.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.