Author Topic: Help me choose type of bow for hickory stave  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Help me choose type of bow for hickory stave
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:50 am »
"I'm the bad Chris" Yes you are. ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline J05H

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:32:38 am »
A good clean hickory stave of the dimensions you specified, should make practically anything but an elb.

Is this from personal experience that youve tried? Or are you just regurgitating dogma you heard told/read by some ole timers? Hickory can most certainly make a nice elb...its been done.

With that said id make an ELB!!!!  :laugh:
I haven't made an elb, but I have made a few cherokee style longbows from hickory. It is a wonderful wood, and I would definately try an elb from it myself, but I'd hate to be the guy that said "yeah go for it" if his bow take some major set or chrysals or something. I'm not saying I think that's likely, but it is at least possible. Unless I really wanted an elb and nothing else would do, I don't think I would risk it on such a wide stave with so many possibilities. To me, it just seems wasteful somehow. You are right to question dogma, and you made me stop and think about it, but I stand by my statement.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline J05H

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 07:47:19 am »
Now, I think I'll go dig in my Hickory stash for a potential elb, so next time I can say " yes I have tried it" :) ;)

If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.