Author Topic: Bow arm  (Read 2912 times)

Offline DC

Bow arm
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:09 pm »
I've been searching the net looking for shooting instructions. I've found a ton of advice on what to do with your string hand. Anchor point, follow through, stuff like that. Nothing for your bow arm. I would think there would be something. After all this is the arm that controls the arrows direction. At least I think it does. Any gems of wisdom?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Bow arm
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:02:47 pm »
Act like your pointing your index finger at the spot and hold it there until the arrow hits the target.......works for me   :-\  ;)
DBar
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:35:26 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline punch

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »
Loose grip. I have my hand completely open until I let go of the string I lightly touch my thumb tip to my middle finger tip.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:03:58 pm »
You have to push the bow at the target with authority and all the way, make sure you anchor consistently and  you will have a consistant draw and the arrow will leap off the string, it will be much easier to not move your arm, hold the shot for a couple of seconds after the arrow is in the target. The worst thing is the sinking draw and release, it will give you an inconsistent draw, will cause you to drop your shoulder, and have a sorry release with bow arm movement. G Fred Asbell explains this in detail in his instinctive shooting book. I think of all these elements on every shot and have found my slump has gone away. I always remind my self on every shot not to shoot like a wimp but with authority. Push the bow to the target          Kenneth
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:22:07 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 03:16:15 am »
Stability and follow through.  I keep my hand at a 45 degree angle and no finger pressure.  Slight natural bend in the elbow.  After the shot I'm sure to hold it there until after the arrow lands.  For me keeping a steady shooting arm is the single most important thing to consistency.  Hope that helps!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:10 pm »
Look at Byron Ferguson shooting that may give you some tips.   After all he is a master.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:11:31 pm »
You need to get Byron Ferguson's book "Become the Arrow." My wife and I teach archery, and I use this book as a reference and I have been teaching his methods for years.

Having said that, I have recently been shooting by holding the bow as though I were making the "OK" sign. Wrapping my thumb and pointer finger around the bow with my other three fingers basically pointing towards the target. The idea is the same with shooting a gun accurately - take as much of your body as you can out of the equation and let the equipment do what it will.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3