Author Topic: smooth on ???  (Read 6120 times)

Offline bubby

smooth on ???
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:08:45 pm »
I've mostly used one of the tb glues, i have used urac but I'm thinking about getting some smooth on and was wondering about shelf life and if i need a hot box, i know i don't in the summer but was also thinking that i could use a shop light and foil to warm ot up in the month that it might get cold here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

Re: smooth on ???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:30:32 pm »
  I bought my quarts at least 5 years ago and it is still good, just be careful to avoid cross contamination when removing product.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:26 pm »
One thing about epoxy is that if the resin gets cold(in the 40's) it will sometimes crystallize like honey. It doesn't harm it at all. Just like honey, put it in a pot of warm water and it will liquefy and stay that way until the temperature goes down again.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »
We'll i don't get a lot of sub 40 deg weather but when it does I'll bring it in the house, so any thoughts about the work light heating idea

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:55 pm »
When I am making CF parts for my model sailboats I have a double corrugated cardboard box with a 150 watt light in it. It gets to 150 degrees. I got the thermostat from an old hot water tank and put it in series with the bulb. Now it's adjustable. The thermostat doesn't read right but I use a meat thermometer stuck through a hole in the box.

Mind you I've always used West Systems but for the basics epoxy is epoxy

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
Pearl has used work lights to cure these type glues.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »
I thought i saw a pic of cody doing the same thing

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:36 am »
It's much more efficient to make a hotbox. It will only take a couple of hours to make. Smooth on get s stronger at higher cure temps.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:32:38 am »
Mike its a matter of space with me and atleast four months of the year its well over 100 degs here i can stick it in my truck and get over 120 but yeah if i was just building lam bows I'd build a box

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 09:22:34 am »
Ive used a set of two work lights for 5 years with URAC/Uni Bond, zero issues that I didn't cause myself in other ways. Im sure you've seen plenty of pics from me with them shining on a glue project.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:26:58 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:59 am »
Sure have Chris just wasn't sure with smooth on gonna order some seems like it has a better shelf life

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
I thought I read that heat was not required for a quality joint with smooth on,  is it just an overall stronger glue line if heat is used to cure?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:14:19 am »
I leave my Uni bond in the fridge. It will last at least a year. Actually, Ive never had any go bad and I can months and months without touching it. Sometimes it will get just a light brown color around the edge. Ill put the lid on, let it warm to room temp and shake the crap outta it. Its never let me down, but I have.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 12:09:35 pm »
  I had a conversation with a fishing pole manufacturer, the composite enegineer. He said you can have strength that is good enough or maximum strength with most epoxies. I don't rememeber the exact process they used but it involved slowly over a period a few hours bring it up to a certain temp, then slowly lowering it back down after it set awhile at the higher temp. The curing process took about 24 hours all together.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »
This is taken from the companies website...

WOOD LAMINATING / BOWMAKING
EA-40® has been used for many years for laminating fine woods. It is
preferred by bow makers around the world and offers longevity, flexibility
and memory required for making award winning performance bows.
Suggested laminating procedure;
1. Plane or lightly sand all surfaces to be laminated with 120 grit sand paper
2. Blow off dust with compressed air and wipe all surfaces clean using
acetone (Warning – acetone is flammable. Follow acetone manufacturer
procedures for handling). Let acetone evaporate for 10 minutes.
3. Mix and apply EA-40® as directed between layers of laminate to sanded
surfaces using a brush.
4. Carefully clamp laminated pieces together applying even pressure.
5. Place in oven and use the following step-cure schedule:
Temperature
Duration
120°F / 48°C
2 hours
150°F / 65°C
2 hours
185°F / 85°C
2 hours
Important; Let cool for at least 6 hours to room temperature before
releasing clamps or handling

With that being said, many guys do not do the 6 hour "step-cure" schedule of increasing heat.  The epoxy will cure just fine in a 24 hour period as long as it is above 72ºF.  When gluing on tip overlays I just clamp and put a 60 watt bulb near the tip and let it cure over night - never have had a problem with the epoxy failing.

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch