Author Topic: A bit of a rant  (Read 4209 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
A bit of a rant
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:28:05 pm »
I'm about to cut up a bunch of staves and put them in the firepit.

Why would I do such a thing?

Because I'm sick of this %#$&ing @&% ~#&$ wood!

Last summer I came across a sugar maple tree that had fallen. It still had green leaves on it, and the wood looked sound. It had probably fallen due to a combination of wind and a scar/hole weakening the tree close to the ground, but all of the wood above that looked sound and strong. I cut it up, split it up, and have had all of the staves drying in my basement for over a year.

I let a few months go by and I grabbed one of the staves last fall. Roughed it out, made sure it was dry, and got to work. Started getting after it, tillered the bow most of the way out -- and then set it aside because it became apparent the draw weight wasn't going to be where I wanted it. Pulled it back out of the Corner of Shame this spring, started tweaking it, and then saw a series of frets on the bottom limb, seemingly coming from nowhere. Put it down to less than perfect tillering and moved on. That "bow" was 66", just under 2" at its widest point, but maybe width-tapered a little too aggressively for the desired weight, and may have contributed to the stress on the belly.

Take two: Brought a roughed-out stave to the Marshall gathering with me, and went to work on it most of the weekend there, doing (relatively) little shooting in comparison. A little shorter, about 64", but I intended to let it bend through the handle a bit -- narrowing/stiffening that portion just a bit. Got a good bend started while at the Rendezvous, brought it home and tillered it out there. The tiller is not bad, if not perfect. At about 26" I notice a fret on the outer limb, and later another, on the inner limb.

I was willing to accept that this was down to poor tillering again, and decided sugar maple needs to be babied. Keep the next one long. Keep it wide. Consider trapping it, aggressively. Tiller carefully, and smart.

After that one I pulled another bow from the Corner of Shame that was begging to be finished up. A hop-hornbeam that started with a lot of promise, but was really whip-tillered and therefore was going to come out below weight when I tillered it out. Again, the mid-limb probably too narrow for weight due to over-aggressive width taper (a bad habit of mine). But the result was a pretty nifty little bow. Only 37#@ 28", it actually tosses an arrow pretty good. Is the tiller perfect? I'd argue, no, it's not. But considering where it was, I'll take it.

Did it fret? No, it did not. The limbs settled just about even when unstrung, and the tips actually retained just a hint of reflex.

So with that one done, I tried maple bow no. 3.

Longer: 68". Wider: 2 1/4". Better width taper, with more wood at mid-limb. Trapped.

Roughed it out a week or two ago. Got it bending. Heated out some twist. Evened out the limbs. Got an initial impression of the bend. Tempered it and added in some reflex, about 2 1/2".

Yesterday I got it to a low brace and started pulling on it. Limbs look even. Bend looks good, though will of course be refined through tillering. Pull it to 12 inches, then 14, then 16. Check it over. Give it a few pulls to 18". Still plenty of weight to play with. Still retaining 2" of reflex.

Check it over, and there it is: A single fret at mid-limb on the top limb.

Is the wood too thin there? No. Is it bending too much there, with my eyes as the judge? No. Is the tiller perfect yet? No, but getting there. And this is on the limb that, so far, has taken less set.

---

I know that a fret is a sign of an imperfect tiller, and by no means would I claim to have ever produced a perfect tiller. It's just that this particular wood, from this particular tree, seems to have absolutely no tolerance to imperfection whatsoever. A fret at 18" and low brace, with hardly any apparent set.

I believe sugar maple can make a good bow. I even believe that I could make sugar maple into a good bow. But not from this tree. Someone at Elm Hall pointed out that it was a wind-fall. I think that's a big thing there. The wood from this tree does not want to become a bow, and that's one of the few things I've learned about making bows: If a piece of wood doesn't want to become a bow, you can't make it. That and: It's just a piece of wood; there are always others.

So this is a matter of three strikes and you're out. I don't see the point in trying again, and then again. I can go longer, yes. I can make a 6ft+ monster that I'll never realistically get much use out of. I can go slower yet, and more carefully. I can do better.

Or I can stick with what I know works: For my neck of the wood, ironwood (hop-hornbeam).

So sayonara, stack of sugar maple. It's been fun. Now let's make a bonfire out of you. Let's light the night sky and tell the world of my failure. And hopefully toast to future success.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A bit of a rant
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »
Use friction to start the fire 😃
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
The friction this stack of wood has created with my ego might be enough to get it going!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »
Ha! I could speculate a dozen reasons. The fact is its not good bow wood. 68" x. 2.5" doesn't require near perfect anything.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »
Burn away! We do the same with our Water Maples.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:45:47 pm »
Just use the fire to heat treat some arrowheads :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:50:45 pm »
I'd use it on back-strap steaks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:20:30 pm »
Doesn't sound like you will be cheating yourself outa much of anything.  And maple is a mighty find firewood, windchecked or not!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:54 pm »
  Sugar maple will fret, it needs to be worked a little more carefully than osage or hickory. If you had frets all over the limb I would say trash it. Because the frets seem to be isolated I would say it is tillering. This is a good opportunity for you to really fine tune your tillering. Check the mass on the bows that you allready completed and see what it is. We have a phrase around here we quote often but not often enough. " never bend the limb any further than what it takes to expose an area that needs work, this might mean two inches of bend. Try again!!

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:22:42 am »
Ha! I could speculate a dozen reasons. The fact is its not good bow wood. 68" x. 2.5" doesn't require near perfect anything.

Agreed 100% ... I've built poplar lumberyard bows at those dimensions. There's obviously something fishy going on there. Maybe it's actuslly soft maple? Regardless it's firewood.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:27:47 am »
If i knew ya was starving for good wood i woulda brought some up to elm hall n gave ya some  :-\

Sounds like bad wood to me....the one u had at marshall seemed to be designed and bending good enough for it not to fret...gotta be majority woods fault imo. Maybe u mis identified cjtting it and its a soft maple?  ???

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:41:20 am »
Sugar maple is mighty good wood for the smoker!   8) 8) 8)

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:44:26 am »
My thoughts as well bad Chris. 

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:26:56 pm »
I'd use it on back-strap steaks.

This might be the best idea yet!

Sugar maple will fret, it needs to be worked a little more carefully than osage or hickory. If you had frets all over the limb I would say trash it. Because the frets seem to be isolated I would say it is tillering.

It definitely is tillering, but I think even the most experienced bowyers would pull their hair out with this particular stack of wood. I simply can't believe this one fret. It makes no sense to me and I'm simply astounded that the wood is that unforgiving.

I'll follow up with a post with some pictures and expand on things a little. It's possible better eyes will see what I'm not seeing -- but I really don't think so.

If i knew ya was starving for good wood i woulda brought some up to elm hall n gave ya some  :-\

Sounds like bad wood to me....the one u had at marshall seemed to be designed and bending good enough for it not to fret...gotta be majority woods fault imo. Maybe u mis identified cjtting it and its a soft maple?  ???

I have a handful of good staves to pick from now, so I'm not totally lacking.

I don't think it's a misidentification issue. My tree ID is pretty good, and it'd be pretty hard to confuse sugar maple with much else. The closest things to it are Norway maple, which doesn't grow wild here anyways (but is planted widely as an ornamental); black maple, which is rare here (grows further south mostly), and I've only ever seen a few of. Both, to my knowledge, are still classified as "hard maple" though, and I can generally tell the difference just by the leaves. Sugar maple is the most abundant tree in Michigan, so most of the time it's a safe bet if it's a maple leaf anyways. The "softs," red and silver, are noticably different.   

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »
If you use wood that has been on the ground you take your chances.
Sometimes the leaves don't turn for a few days  on a  tree that is down.

As for frets, if they are all over the limb it is a design issue...too short, too narrow.
If frets are localized it is a tillering issue.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!