Author Topic: Fixing twist!?!  (Read 2331 times)

Offline dane lund

Fixing twist!?!
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:15:10 pm »
OK, I just finished a little bend through the handle vine maple bow for my grandson.  Tiller looked great on the tree, but when I decided to shoot some arrows, it was twisting as I pulled to full draw.  The arrow rest is twisting forward away from my grip.

Just not sure how to fix it.
I need your input.......thanks in advance.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Fixing twist!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:37:43 pm »
I think that is caused by the tips not being aligned? I don't know, maybe it's the handle not being centered? can't seem to remember what causes that, I know I used to know what caused it though.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:23 pm »
Are your limbs even thickness on both sides?  Does your string alignment line up with the center of the grip?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »
Sounds like the limbs are uneven thickness like Clint said. It is a pretty common problem. Scrape the thicker side of the belly to even out the thickness.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dane lund

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:09:26 am »
It's a bow made from a pretty knotty, naturally re flexed tree branch.  It seems even, but like I said, there are several knots that seem to complicate things.
So,if it's twisting left as I draw, I need to reduce the left side of the belly, right?  Can't seem to put that straight in my mind.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:18 am »
The limb will tip towards its weak side.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:42:45 am »
If the twist is natural and less than 35 degrees, I leave it. If I caused the twist by uneven wood removal I fix it like PD said. Remove wood from the high side.

However, I remember working on a yew stave. I used outside calipers to make sure wood removal was even on both sides of each limb. Despite that, when I strung it up she was a leaner so I had to remove wood from the high side to fix it. Sometimes no matter what you do you gotta fix it.

I don't know your staves's situation, dane, but those are the 2 possiblities I can think of.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dane lund

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:57 am »
Jawge,

The little sucker throws an arrow well.  It's my grandsons first bow, and I was worried because, as you pull to full draw, the arrow rest basically rotates forward, away from your hand.  So I assume that is the same side I need to remove wood from!?!

It doesn't bother me, but it's just not right, and I thought it might bug him.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 11:59:18 am »
If it's curving to the left then remove wood from the right because the left side is weaker.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:03 pm »
Yes, what bow and arrow said. It will rotate toward the weak side. Do use a scraper and go slowly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:14 pm »
how bout just orientating the rest to be in the right place at full draw