Author Topic: The learning curve  (Read 1710 times)

Offline cadet

The learning curve
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:56:45 am »
After knocking out a couple of roughly 20lb longbows out of 1/2" x 1 1/4" red oak to get a feel for how the whole thing works, I took a piece of 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 6' red oak and turned it into this:

Roughly 68" n-n, my 56lb scale tops out at about 24" draw, so well north of 60lbs at my 27".  I might take the tools to it to lighten it a bit, or I might just build a lighter one and work up to it.  I'm not just learning to make them, but also learning to shoot them!
I also need to teach myself string making now; hootchie cord is great stuff, but not ideal here!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: The learning curve
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:29 am »
Nice tiller  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:04 am »
Congrats..welcome to pa :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:26 pm »
That is an excellent learned curve there!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Green

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »
Nice bow.....and I really like the design of your tillering stick.  Mind sharing a few detail shots of it?

Offline helmet

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
I really like that design, nice job.

Offline cadet

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:14:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm surprised by the red oak: it's given me a much heavier bow than others indicated was likely.
It's about 1 1/2" wide at the hand, so probably a bit too wide.  It's only taken about 2" of set though, which seems ok.  I'll have a play with some different profiles and tillering sequences next, and try and get something a bit lighter as I trundle along on my learning curve.
Nice bow.....and I really like the design of your tillering stick.  Mind sharing a few detail shots of it?

It's really a very simple affair: an offcut of 19mmx85mm spotted gum (the other 2ish metres has a particularly straight grain for something else later!), with holes drilled every inch, and a couple of holes at the top, into which are slotted some bolts; the top ones that the bow sits on have nuts to hold them in firmly; the lower ones just get pushed into the hole to hook the string over and hold at whatever draw length I'm up to (or pull the string down with the spring balance to measure weight).  I just hold it in the vice I have mounted on my tailgate for sharpening chainsaws etc (it's actually proven a handy workbench set like that), and a plumb line soon gets me fairly straight.
I'll possibly build another though, a bit taller, with eye bolts and pulleys; I'll want some mechanical advantage, and won't want a tillering board to fail if and when I'm exerting 100+ lbs on a stave, as is the ambition...!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:47:08 pm by cadet »

Offline Green

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:53:18 am »
Thanks for the pics Cadet!  Nice work on the board bow!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:05:05 am »
Yes indeed, you've climbed a long way up the learning curve.  Nice tiller on that one.
Drew - Boone, NC