Author Topic: Osage bow tiller advice wanted  (Read 6948 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Osage bow tiller advice wanted
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 09:01:14 pm »
You could wrap  the handle with some silk fabric or something. When I work on a knotted, twited, humpy character stave I not to over stress it with a reflex. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 09:25:01 pm »
Thanks George thats a good idea to wrap the handle. I will take your advice on the reflex also.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:02 pm »
I hope that you are right...cause the Bow looks good and I hate to see Stickbow Firewood
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 11:51:30 pm »
Jesse: This osage recurve I'm currently working on has a crack down the center of one limb (about ten inches long). I added that while taking out some spiral twist :D. After filling it with super glue (several sessions) I can't tell that it's there anymore. Not that I know that much about it, but that osage is some tough stuff and if your crack is in the handle - I really don't think you have any worries :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 03:13:54 am »
jesse, The right limb in the photo looks a touch stiff right outside the grip, and this can transfer the bend through the grip which because of its leverage can pop off the glued on handle at the glue line.

Tillering bows like these can be interesting since there can be a bit more tiller change in the limbs compared to straight ones since not all the grain is straight and may settle a touch more under load....I'm another one who like leaving the knots well knots..Ya have enough wood around it that it won't need support..If it's punky, I just let it fall out or clean it out. Thats where the cigar goes for the photo ;)

Rich

Offline Jesse

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 07:33:16 pm »
Thanks Rich I will work on the right limb near the fade a little but first Im going to wrap the handle with something to add support. I looked at it really close under very bright light and there is separation at the glue line. The handle is still on firmly but I dont want it getting any worse. I am thinking about using 50# musky fishing line and super glue. I know its not the most primitive but its just the handle which is glued on anyway. And its what I've got.
         Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
That should work Jesse, Use what ya have or can scrounge :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI