Author Topic: flowering dogwood  (Read 1476 times)

Offline helmet

flowering dogwood
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:23 am »
Yesterday I ran across a nice flowering dogwood shoot, 3-4" in diameter growing out of a fallen trunk. It looks nice and straight. If I cut this for a stave can I split and peel the bark, seal the ends and let it season. Or do I need to leave the bark on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: flowering dogwood
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:47:26 am »
A log the small you might be better sawing it in half lengthwise. Be sure it didn't grow twisted by following the grain of the bark. I would saw it in half and bind it back together with spacers between the two halves so it can breath. I'd leave the bark on for now and seal the ends.
 If you remove the bark be sure to seal the back well.
 How long is your log?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
If you want it to dry quickly you could strip the bark and rough it to near bow dimensions, then clamp it to a board while it drys. I've done this several times and never had any problems with dogwood checking but I wasn't using cornus florida I was using stiff dogwood(the shoots round where I live get to be 3 in in diameter).
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:42 am »
Every dogwood I have cut has twisted bad even when the bark looked ok so I wouldn't split it.

Offline helmet

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »
Great, thanks for the info and help.

Offline helmet

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
Pat, the log is around 60 inches long.