Author Topic: question about Hickory bow kit  (Read 5420 times)

Offline lonniels

question about Hickory bow kit
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:11:51 pm »
I recently ordered a hickory bow kit and I recieved it today. I am anxious to get started, but am a little concerned about the hickory. The kit is twisted. When I look down the entire length the limbs are twisted. It is not alot, but it is enough to be noticed. Is this a big deal or not? What should I do? 

Offline adb

Re: question about Hickory bow kit
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:59:48 pm »
Who did you order it from? I'd talk to them, and see what they'd be willing to do. Prop twist is not something to deal with on your first bow.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:46:54 pm »
if the twist isn't too severe you can remove wood from the opposite side of the twist to pull it back in line when you draw the bow, if it's too much twist you gotta steam it out or just send the "kit" back. try ordering a stave from a reputable source if you wanna go that route. but your probably better off cutting it yourself. i'e ordered staves from bowstick archery and i haven't had a bad one yet.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:44 pm »
If you end up keeping the kit, after you layout the bow and rough it in just prior to floor tiller stage you can remove a lot of the twist (if not all) using dry heat. This is not a big deal if you have a form. We straighten bows all the time by shimming to rotate the bow limb in the desired direction.

But for a first bow and someone who has never used a form nor has a form, it is a little more of a challenge. I have straightened bows by putting vegetable oil on the belly side and suspending the bow above a stove burner belly down(about 10" or so) at the area you want the twist to be removed from. After 10 minutes or so (watch that the wood doesn't get to scorched) you can while wearing gloves handle the bow and manually with your hands or putting one end of the limb in a vice rotate the bow to counter the propellor. Hold the bow to the desired shape until the wood cools and it should stay straightened. Takes a little trail and error but you can tell when the limb is accepting the change. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:26:16 pm »
If the "kit" is a hickory bow stave, and depending upon the pricing and the representation, no worries.  Not the best case scenario but part and parcel of making an organic bow and easily dealt with.  If the "kit" is a glue up, of a hickory core and a hickory backing glued together, somebody needs to get it back (up the poop shoot) imho, and send you a proper one.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:17:45 pm »
If the "kit" is a hickory bow stave, and depending upon the pricing and the representation, no worries.  Not the best case scenario but part and parcel of making an organic bow and easily dealt with.  If the "kit" is a glue up, of a hickory core and a hickory backing glued together, somebody needs to get it back (up the poop shoot) imho, and send you a proper one.
Yes what DCM said. Do tell more about this "kit". 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lonniels

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
I ordered the kit through 3 rivers archery. The stave is a single piece of hickory, not a glue up. I was a little worried at first when I opened it up, but I think I will try and deal with it and maybe not order another one through them. It is going to be challenging, but that is part of the thrill. I hope it can be corrected by shaving off some onthe opposite side of the twist and pulling it back in line.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 03:21:54 pm »
Keep in mind that you can also use the dry heat to realign. Whatever you do try and use a tillering tree with a scale inline so you don't come out lite weight. Once you remove the wood, you can't put it back...well not to easily. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 04:25:04 pm »
If it was  3Rivers, I'd talk to them first. They're usually excellent with customer service.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 06:23:45 pm »
Lets see a picture. How bad is it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
  If it's Hickory, I'd just tiller the bow and then twist the limbs straight with heat when it's finished. Hickory is very forgiving and easy to bend with dry heat or steam.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 01:02:06 am »
I'd say call 3Rivers. Like adb said they have good customer service. They will make it good. You spent good money on a bow kit, it should be a straight piece of wood in the kit.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lonniels

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »
I will try and post a pic. The more I look at it the less I think it is a big deal. I have already started working on it. I could ot wait any longer. Jim Hamm in TBB talked about propeller twist and he said he usually could not tell the difference. He said he usually did not try and correct it. I will try my luck and see how it comes out.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
Thats the spirit, I know this sounds corny but listen to the wood ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:30:34 pm »
A hickory stave, most staves, almost deserve a little heat work, once roughed down to nearly bow size.  No worries.  All part of the process.  Git her all straight and add a couple of inches of nice even backset and you'll be good to go.  I doubt if I've made over a handful of stave bows that I didn't heat work them once roughed down to bow size.