Author Topic: Friction Fire  (Read 25750 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Friction Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »
I figured I'd give it a shot its not a real hard wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:42 pm »
At this years Elm Hall Event, Tony "Nakedfeet" did a great job of teaching several us us how to use the bow drill and hand drill methods.

He had a bow drill kit made with a basswood hearth board and spindle.  We also found the shredded inner bark from white cedar to be great tinder.  We had about seven in our group, and everyone was successful and making a fire. We also made several fires using a mullein spindle hand drill, with a basswood hearth board.

After the Elm Hall event, I traveled to the UP of Michigan and made a bow drill set out of a dead white cedar log.  Both the spindle and hearth board were split and carved out of the same log and it worked great. I've attached  pic of that set.  I have now also successfully made a set from red cedar and taught my 14 boy scout nephew how to make a friction fire.

I'm still a novice at this, but It seems like the key besides having dry soft wood for the hearth and spindle, is to not apply too much pressure in the first part of the "drilling" sequence.  Wait until you have a good bit of powder built up in the hearth board notch.  It seems like the powder needs to be in contact with the hot spindle face in order to make an ember.

Also, if the wood is too hard it will smoke a lot and produce a burnt black powder, as opposed to a toasted brown powder.  The black powder seems to be already burnt so it will not carry an ember well.

Hope this helps.
Ed

When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:28 pm »
Awesome! It's always so fulfilling to make fire with friction like that with equipment that you made yourself. Way to go man! The set looks really good too.

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:10 am »
After dinner tonight I had to use my set and show off for my wife.  I was able to make an ember in about 40 seconds and quickly blow the tinder bundle into flame.  It's a cheep way to entertain myself, lol.

I saw a you tube video of a guy that made a point to always build a new bow drill set every time he made a fire, then burn the set in the fire he built.   This would force himself to get better at not only making friction fires , but also finding the correct materials in many different locations and conditions.

I will start to do the same in order to test myself, but I will keep that kit shown above to do demos at my home in suburbia.  The neighbors will think it's magic, lol.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 01:36:59 am »
Yep, I completely agree. I always burn my sets for that reason. I'm pretty much able to make a friction fire in any conditions my area can dish out.

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 10:14:31 am »
This weekend I will be doing a training hike in middle Tennessee and I know that there are some yucca plants growing on one hill top.  If there are some flower stalks I'll collect a couple for a hand drill set. I will also collect some pine pitch like Outbackbob48 suggested, that sounds like the ticket to a quick ember and reduced blisters.

So Scallorn, do you ever go to any of the primitive archer events?  it would be fun to run friction fire classes at these events "like we did at Elm Hall".  At Elm Hall it wasn't formal, just started playing with it after dinner and beverages.  Everyone really enjoyed learning a new skill set that could be very usefully.

Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 12:13:21 pm »
Forest Farmer, a little word of caution, using pine pitch on your hand drills helps increase your downward pressure, sadly it actually increases your chances of blister do to more friction, once your hands are tuff doesn't seem to matter. I just twisted one  out of cedar and horseweed. Bob

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »
Bob,
It sounds like I'm going to have to work on toughening up my paws. 

Based on your success, I may try to make a hand drill fire tonight using a mullein spindle and white cedar board.

BTW, what is horse weed? Is that the same as horse tails?
Ed

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 02:15:51 pm »
I don't go to the PA events bu i wish i could. I don't know of any events in my area. I live in Paris TX

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »
Forest, we call it horseweed here but many names and confusions.Newcombs Wild Flower Guide, Horseweed(Erigeron canadensis) White or greenish flowers in very small (1/8' long) heads with minute, upright rays. Leaves lance shaped or narrow, the lower toothed. Stem usually with bristly hairs 3' to 7' high. Very common of fields and waste places. Summer and fall.Composite Family.  Hope this helps, I find alot of it in oats fields and beans, Kinda looks like goldenrod without the bright yellow flowers. Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:35 pm »
I just got through reading in Backwoodsman Magazine that a hot water heater thermostat is the same material as a ferro stick. So, don't throw them away when you change them out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 04:11:29 pm »
Thanks Bob that helps, I also looked it up on google images and based on the pics, it grows all over here in Tennessee.  I'll give it a try.
Ed

Offline CJDore

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 10:52:00 am »
I don't go to the PA events bu i wish i could. I don't know of any events in my area. I live in Paris TX

Scallorn, I sure wish that you could make it up to TN for the Tennessee Classic in the Spring to teach all your tried and true techniques.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 02:13:42 pm »
There's a mushroom I find regularly called a tinder polypore that grows on birch trees. I know it's good fuel for the fire due to the pitch levels in birch. I assume it got it's name for a reason. If I find another one this season I'll see if it will nurture an ember to a flame.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Forest_Farmer

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »
Hey Dakota, I saw a good Youtube video on the polypore fungus.  Here'e a link to it, "i've never inserted a link so hopefully it works". 
  I will try to collect some this fall when i'm in Michigan.  I haven't seen any here in Tennessee.

https://youtu.be/oJL-wZHkQuM

Thanks