Author Topic: New Member and Some New Arrows  (Read 2562 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

New Member and Some New Arrows
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
Hi everybody! I just thought i'd introduce myself along with some arrows I just finished up!
I hope to learn all I can from the great bowmaking gurus on this site, as I am still a fledgling bowyer(and arrowsmith as i'm sure you'll be able to tell)!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: New Member and Some New Arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:15:00 am »
All of the shafts are dogwood and the points are circular saw blades that have been heat treated, the feathers are from a wild turkey.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:12:12 am »
They look good to me. How do they fly? I noticed some have some crook to them. That doesn't really matter as long as the nock and point line up and they spin true. I actually love a well made crooked arrow.   8)
 The transition of the shaft at the point is a little abrupt. Try tapering the shaft more at that point so you have a smoother transition.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
Yeah, two of them do have some wiggles but I managed to get the nock and point end to line up so they wont fly like a crippled duck :) They actually fly suprisingly staight and are accurate enough to spear a gatorade bottle at 20 yards as long as I dont goof up or anything I can get 3-4in groups at 20 or so yards.

I'll take your advice on the transitions, though I have to say the camera makes them look more abrupt than they actually are.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:48 am »
Looks good to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 12:01:42 pm »
I generally use the same taper I use for glue on points but on some I just use a sharp knife to make a mother transition. Will you post another pic of the point and shaft at that point?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
here's a close up of one of the shafts.

By the way, do you live in Brevard NC? Because I was just there for four days on vacation!

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
I know the shaft looks tattered but thats only because its been hitting wood and dirt for the last week or so.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »
I've lived in Brevard for 25 years. Where did you go in Brevard?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:17:00 pm »
Well we stayed in Brevard, we went to places like skinny dip falls, and rainbow falls. It was nice your lucky to live there.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:39:28 pm »
Brevard is a great place to live. We have 25 acres of woods and see no other houses from our house. You'll have to come back and visit Brevard again.  Usually I have a primitive skills weekend at the end of July. I didn't this year but plan to again next summer. We usually have 10 to 15 folks show up and make bows, flint knap, shoot, eat well and have evening sing-alongs.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 01:50:29 pm »
My family and I used to come every summer and stay but that tradition faded away about five years ago, this year however when me and my dad were talking about our hunting property in Enfield, NC I brought up how we used to go the mountains every summer and things just went from there. Hopefully I'll be back next year to steal more sourwood >:D