Author Topic: My eighth bow. Hop Hornbeam: 52" nock-to-nock, 40#@25"...  (Read 3184 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

My eighth bow. Hop Hornbeam: 52" nock-to-nock, 40#@25"...
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:11:48 am »
My eighth bow, and my first time working with Hop Hornbeam. I had a lot of big ideas (static and/or flipped tips, fully backed, etc.) for this stave but ended up keeping in relatively simple, mostly because of novice errors and over cautiousness on my part. The bow is 52" nock-to-nock (I used pin nocks for the first time) and pulls 40# at 25". Because the bow is somewhat short, and because I did not think I would get it to my full 25" draw, I rawhide backed 12" of each limb--plus, I had some unused rawhide scraps from a previous build. I stained the bow with leather dye, wrapped the handle with deer-skin lace, and wrapped various materials to cap off the where the rawhide starts and ends. It shoots snappy and with consistent accuracy.

Note: The bottom limb had a bit of a twist to work out--more twist than I have ever had to deal with before. I took a plastic bucket with a rope tied to the bucket's handle on one end and a pair of pliers--tied at their handle--to the other end. After attaching the pliers to the stave's twisted limb, I applied dry heat and put weight (clamps, one at a time) into the bucket, thereby untwisting--as much as I could--the twist. Not an original idea on my part, but I read about the technique somewhere. The bottom limb is still a bit wonky, but I did my best with it. Also, my tillering work did not turn out as well as my last bow. I used a tillering gizmo, but when I hit 40#--and the limbs looked pretty darn close--I backed off. I have built all bendy handle bows, minus one Osage bow with a handle/riser, so far; I think that threw me off a bit too.

In any case, it is finished. And, as a side note, I think I am going to offer it to the nosy neighbor boy--with his mom's permission and assuming he is interested--that thought he secretly watched me--almost every day--build the bow as he sat behind the backyard gate in the alley behind my house. Another neighbor told me that he recently lost his dad, so hopefully it will cheer him up, even if it is only briefly.

Thanks for looking.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: My eighth bow. Hop Hornbeam: 52" nock-to-nock, 40#@25"...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:57 am »
I promise that rig will cheer the boy right up Scott, good on you.

The gizmo gives a round tiller and stiff fades, even when you don't want them. So, you either chose to ignore certain markings it makes because you know better, or you simply ditch the gizmo and use your straight edge and eyes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:28:49 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:29:29 am »
I promise that rig will cheer the boy right up Scott, good on you.

I need another bow like I need a hole in the head. But this one was good practice for future builds. His name is Charlie, and the neighbors say he is a good kid. 
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:32:03 am »
That bow could change his path in life in mere seconds. That's a big deal man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:51 am »
"The gizmo gives a round tiller and stiff fades, even when you don't want them. So, you either chose to ignore certain markings it makes because you know better, or you simply ditch the gizmo and use your straight edge and eyes."

Right. I had a feeling that building a handle bow was going to throw me off a bit. Thanks for the tip. I will apply that advice to my next build.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:42:23 am »
"That bow could change his path in life in mere seconds. That's a big deal man."

I am really getting tired of all the daily bad news in the world, particularly the senseless loss of lives by wack-jobs. I am not sure how he lost his dad, and it is not my place to ask, but pay it forward--right.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »
That bow could change his path in life in mere seconds. That's a big deal man.

Amen to that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:33:52 pm »
You might just gain a full time shop buddy Scott! And who knows? Maybe he knows of a few killer cutty spots that you don't. :)

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:34:59 pm »
That's how to make a change in the world, one kid at a time. Good on you!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »
Never met you sir that I know of, but I like your thinking a LOT!  Way to go being a father to the fatherless.  That is what community really is!  Not gubmint programs, or goody-two-shoes types giving there hand-me-downs to poor unfortunate souls.  Real people reaching out where they notice a need and giving what they have and can afford!  May you be Blessed a hundred times over for this!

Please let us know what comes of your interaction with the young man.  If he takes to it and comes to need arrows, a quiver, a bow sock or whatever, I bet there are at least a few of us here that would be inclined to partner with you in your generosity.   :D

OneBow

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:24:06 pm »
Truly nice gesture to reach out to the neighbor boy in this way, always sad to hear of a kid who has lost a parent. Hopefully he takes to the archery and it gives him some peace.
Good shooting to you both. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:04 pm »
I feel sure that will put a smile on his face if you need some shafts for arrows for him shoot me a PM I have lots of cedar shafts I got from warpath I can send you some.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 12:21:40 am »
Thanks for the positive vibes guys...just seems like the right thing to do. He lives three houses down. I will head down there on Sunday.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 12:33:23 am »
Nice bow and nice gesture.  I'm sure it will cheer the little guy up a little.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 01:16:54 am »
Great looking bow and a really nice thing you're doing by giving it to the boy.  Good on you! :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.