Author Topic: Drying a lilac stave  (Read 1850 times)

Offline thomcout_96

Drying a lilac stave
« on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
I guys, I,ve harvested a nice lilac stave more than 1 month ago and I left it in my cold room in the basement for all this time because I don't really know how to treat this wood. I searched about it and found that it really likes to check and twist, but not a lot of info on how to really dry it the correct way. I already reduced it to half it's thickness, leaving the bark on and sealing the ends with wood glue, but I need someone who already worked with lilac as I really don't want to mess this stave.
Thank you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drying a lilac stave
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »
I've not worked lilac but most woods can twist and draw into reflex(not always even) when reduced like that. You can clamp the stave to a form until it has dried more. A 2x4 will work and gives you a flat stave or you can clamp it to a form to induce even reflex as it dries. You should be able to adjust the reflex and any lateral movement or twist with heat later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:00:47 am »
I cut some last summer and twisting was not a problem. What was tricky though is to not have them to check. I put them in the basement which have temperature of mid 40's in the winters and high 50's in the summer, air humidity around 50%. The ones that seems ok are the ones that don't have any old scars ,I left the bark on and sealed the ends. All the others checked like crazy. Someone said he wrapped his lilac in garbage bags for the the first months i believe, he also had similar basement conditions as me. If I remember right he had good results. Good luck!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:12:11 am »
What he said^^^ A garbage bag with a few small holes and take your time. It's worth it ;). It's a pretty wood. Smells nice too. Hard as all get out too.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:32:33 am »
Lilac is amazing wood!
Garbage bag, pva glue and slowly, slowly does it!
Even reducing lilac to floor tiller isn't enough to stop it checking. This wood has to be dried as slowly as you can.

Offline thomcout_96

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:27:43 am »
Thanks guys, I'll let sit in the old wine room of my dad, It's pretty cold and humid so it should be okay. Maybe in two months, i'll bring it out in garbage bags like you said but i'll surely take my time!  :D

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:10:17 pm »
my lilac stave checked in a matter of hours.  It is now wrapped in plastic, and I will look at it again in 6 months or more.  Hopefully there will be enough left below the check that I can make something of it.