Author Topic: my ipe tiller so far, suggestions?  (Read 6797 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Re: my ipe tiller so far, suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:12 pm »
tonight i will get it to brace, and move from there,  i understand what you mean.  it is a stright bow, with no r/d or recurve.  it will not bend in the handle.  i have used the tillering gizmo before with great results, but am having a hard time getting even white pencil to show well on the limbs, so i am using a 6 inch straight edge and my eye, like what was stated above.  I am at the office so i can't measure her now, ....but i do have the belly rounded about a third of the way on each side, with the center 1/3 of the belly flat from me scraping.  i like the flat bows and am only rounding the edges to keep from having a place for a splinter to lift.  this bow is for my dad, his first anythign but a racurve, so i really appreciate the help you guys are gioving me so it comes out nice.  ill be in iraq starting may or so, so this is my last chance to get him something real to hunt with before i go.  im a slow worker, and have been fiddling with it for 2 months already, now im at the scary part :}  ill post more pics ansd such tiongiht.  thanks again for all of you comments
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline armymedic.2

new pictures
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »
okay, so the bow is 1 inch wide at the fades, 1/2 inch at the knocks.  It is 68 inches ntn-you see it drawing 20 inches here, and she is good and braced like she should be. she needs to get to 28.  she is 50 lbs at 20, and i need her there at 28 there is no bend heated into it, but it appears to be taking a slight set :-[  hope these are enough pics to give you an idea

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:47:49 pm »
You've got a nice bow going there. Carry on. You've come this far... the end is in sight. You're doing great!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:54:34 pm »
Looks great. I would be tempted to just pull it all the way. ;D I don't advise listening to me. :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:08 am »
Yep, stringing it up got it just about to where you need it, but I would still remove just a very little bit off the mid to outer limbs. It's looking good, though!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:18 am »
If you are getting a little set I would say get more bending in the midlimb and outer limb area.  The left limb looks OK, the right has a weak spot right at the fade.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 04:15:14 am »
By thinning the tips you can get those outer limbs moving, and this will give you your drawlength. Remember with a built up handle like that the limbs have to move farther to reach 28" at your hand. so the limbs will be drawing about 30" with this style grip, but its still no problem.

Ideally you want the tips to be a rounded 3/8th's inches and a point just past the string..By tapering towards this with very gradual thickness taper from midlimb will get you there.

You are closer than you think to being done..It's looking good..After thinning the tips a bit, I'd be out shooting it to see how it feels. Just loose the arrow if the bow starts to stack..and remove a little more...

Rich
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:29:51 pm by Rich Saffold »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 11:01:48 am »
Rich brings up an interesting point. Are you going to leave the handle that thick.  I often glue a handle on only to remove half of it later.  If you are going to remove half when shaping the handle, don't forget to hit your target weight 1-2" early because that is where you will really be drawing to. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 02:59:28 pm »
 Like Rich says. Thin tips. I make mine sometimes 3/16" thick, sometimes 1/4." You are close so slow down and be really careful and happy of course. ;)................................................ Bob

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:28 pm »
ok, good ideas, i will be reming a touch of the grip., but not a whole lot(just sinking it a bit for theweb of the hand and rounding off the palm) , as it is going into my dads very large hands.  i though i saw a weak spot on the right limb as well.  with 7-8 inches more to go, getting the outer limbs working more, do you think that it will always be a weak spot?  or will it be bending correctly once the outer limbs are finished?  the angle of the camera exagerates it, but i do think it is a bit weak there.  not detrimental is it? 

if i remover more from the sides of the limbs to narow the tips, i am afraid i will take too much-mainly because i have never done that before .  i always roughed it out and tillered from there.  pretty new to it still.  thanks for all the great advise guys.  i showed my dad the progress and he was pumped.  im at drill now so won;t be able to work on it till sunday, appreciate all the advice i can get befor i get my hands on it again!