Author Topic: Sturgis Motorhome Rally and Trailor Parking  (Read 2955 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Sturgis Motorhome Rally and Trailor Parking
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:31:35 pm »
The 75th Anniversary of the Rally starts in a few days. If you are coming up, send me a PM.  I'll be happy to facilitate whatever I can.

Pitiful, really.  It has become the world's largest theme costume party.  A walk down Lazelle street looking at odometers on the bikes reveals a scary percentage of bikes with less than a thousand miles on them and in many cases, that is also the total number of miles the rider has knocked off in their LIFETIME. Few bikers come to the rally anymore.  Its roughly the equivalent of someone booking a cruise on a Carnival cruise and claiming they are a pirate.

We are on track to set a record for accidents and deaths.  What else?  You have a giant crowd of people with a very limited experience on the back of a bike, throw in a 24 hr a day party with unlimited access to alcohol, hot weather, twisty turning roads, and there ya go.  51 weeks a year he drives a desk, and drives it like he stole it...and one week he is a biker pumping his lily white fist in the air to the sound of Born to be Mild while the price tag of his brand new Harley Davidson Collectors Limited Edition Chinese made leather chaps flaps in the breeze. 

My annual rant....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Sturgis Motorhome Rally and Trailor Parking
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:53 am »
I just read a cartoon called "Bizarro" in a newspaper.
A dad and his son are standing on a corner looking at some bikers...
Dad says... When daddy was a little boy, not all bikers were middle-aged attorneys and stockbrokers.
Some of them were tough guys. ???
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:53 pm »
JW, the bikes just left my home town of Muskegon, Michigan. The event was called "Bike Time".  There were thousands of people of the 3 day weekend.  Sounded like everyone had a good time and didn't read of any major problems.  Hope your event is even  more successful.

On a side note we get the National Hill climb event every other year and rarely are there any issues.  That is heldtwo miles down the road from us.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:41:28 pm »
JW,

sounds a lot like Burning man,here in Nevada.Its been taken over by Doctors,Lawyers,CEO's and Govt big wigs.They are pushing out the folks that got it started.They like to come from all over the world to play hippy for a few days.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »
sad what it has turned out to be.. I won't own a harley.. Don't want to be lumped in with these Dentist rebels.. I'll keep my Kawie hardley a davidson
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:41 pm »
sad what it has turned out to be.. I won't own a harley.. Don't want to be lumped in with these Dentist rebels.. I'll keep my Kawie hardley a davidson
Thanks leroy

You mean like this one?  Lol!  I will probably own a Harley someday when the kids are grown.  Not because I want to be lumped in with the R.U.B.s (rich urban bikers), but despite them.  I refuse to let them dictate what I will or won't do.  I don't consider myself a biker anyway.  I ride to unwind from everyday life when I get the chance.  I don't live to ride.  I just talked to a few folks actually riding their bikes with all there gear strapped to the actual bike and I asked them if they were headed for the black hills.  They said not no, but h--l no.  They were going to the lake.  I should've known.  Lol!  Josh

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:30 pm »
Love it Gundoc... Ifin you find the harley you like buyer up.. I meant I don't have to have one to make myself feel better.. They do make some nice stuff.. I got a 07 1600 Nomad.. Great on the highway sucks in town...
Thanks leroy

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:37:42 pm »
My father is/was a legit bad biker from back in the day, like riding Harleys around the countryside camping on the side of the road type biker, lol. Still has his two Harleys, he was going through some old boxes a while back and found an old bandana or patch or something from his crew, brought it out to show everyone and comically sniffled and said " I used to be *sniff* a big bad *sniff* biker...." lol. Used to be folks could get a parted up Harley in pieces and build it for less than it costs to replace a part now....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:05 pm »
It is Monday, 7:00 p.m., the official first day of the Rally.  The official Death Toll stands at 6, but I heard that they have two on life support at Rapid City Regional pending word from family, so that could bump to 8 any minute. 

*sigh*

You wanna come out and see the hills from the back of your scoot?  Great idea, but avoid amateurs week. 

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »
That's not good news JW.. I got a freind going down there from Vancouver Island.. I hope his brother and himself keep safe...
Thanks Leroy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:39:42 pm »
There is a reason they call 'em DONORCYCLES. 

Score stands at 10.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »
Someday I intend to come see that piece of the world. I have always wanted to. But I guarantee it will not any where even close to bike rally time! Maybe when they have an old, slow, fat guy in a Jeep rally?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
Someday I intend to come see that piece of the world. I have always wanted to. But I guarantee it will not any where even close to bike rally time! Maybe when they have an old, slow, fat guy in a Jeep rally?

I'll be the guy in the steel blue '97 Cherokee.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »
Sounds like a lot more fun to me!

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 05:30:38 pm »
I don't know why but when i read the title of this post i think of the great scout and cat house thursday, no conection but what the hay
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹