Author Topic: silk backing  (Read 5028 times)

Offline jayman448

silk backing
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:49:56 pm »
A couple questions. What woods will be most complimented by silk? Also for it to be affective would it have to cover end to end in one piece or could it be butted up or slightly over lapped when glued. (By complimented i mean i have heard that silk will greatly improve a back, allowing for over bending in short bows or for creating a slug of a bow out of such woods as pine. Have any of you found anything to back this up?)

Offline Badger

Re: silk backing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
   I don't think sild will improve performance on any bow. It can give your back a little added protection from breaking. It is nothing like sinew, it stretches but does not return rapidly to its original position.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:05 pm »
I agree with Badger.  Silk will help hold down splinters but nothing will keep a broke bow from breaking. The condition of the bows back should determine whether or not a backing(non-performance) is necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »
I have used 2 layers of linen which is thicker it may boost the bow a few pounds.  From what I noticed.  Linen is also much easier to lay down and glue.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:46 pm »
Adding two layers of linen will work against any performance you might acquire because of the added physical weight.  Trying to depend on a crutch to improve your bow building is the wrong path to take. IMO  Concentrating on building the best bow you can with the best wood you can get is your best option to achieve the bow you want.
 I'm not scolding you or picking on you. What I'm trying to do is help you build a bow you will be proud of. It took me over 10 years to get to that point. If I can help you get there without all the trial and error, I've done my will.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:47:53 pm »
Haha you and your crutch analogy. I realize it will not act as sinew. Thats a silly notion. I know all it will do is prevent splinters. I believe i read about it in the bowiers bible. All i wanna know is when would silk be a good idea and does it need to be one solid piece the whole way through? It was clearly used in he past, so why, when, and how. Lol

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:58:00 pm »
Use it when you think it needs it and you can lap it at the middle, pat that was well stated and I for one agree 100%
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »
You can splice almost any backing at the handle. I over lap about 4" at the handle but you could probably get by with a scarf joint or even a butt joint, especially if you use a wrapped handle.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Adding two layers of linen will work against any performance you might acquire because of the added physical weight.  Trying to depend on a crutch to improve your bow building is the wrong path to take. IMO  Concentrating on building the best bow you can with the best wood you can get is your best option to achieve the bow you want.
 I'm not scolding you or picking on you. What I'm trying to do is help you build a bow you will be proud of. It took me over 10 years to get to that point. If I can help you get there without all the trial and error, I've done my will.

I was merely making a suggestion.   ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:07:22 pm »
Don't take advice so personally. Pat laid it out. He is trying to reduce your learning curve. My personal opinion is make a bow that will survive unbacked, then worry about making one backed.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:39 pm »
I'll often use silk underneath snake skins. The skins cover up the silk and I figure a little extra protection can't hurt. Thus far I have not had a bow backed with silk splinter, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I have noticed no change in performance when backing a bow with silk. I'll often use two pieces overlapped at the handle.
Gordon

Offline jayman448

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 01:26:59 am »
I have to say i hate email type conversations for the simple fact that tone is lost. It seems i came off snarky or something. My appologies. This was all just hypothetical thinking. I juat wanna know all i can know. As if i could afford silk! Haha that craps ridiculous! :P

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:41 pm »
Keep your eyes open at thrift shops. Pat B is full of info, and will give it willingly. How many other places do you know where someone you don't know will readily give you info?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:02:55 pm »
Thrift stores are a good source of silk in the form of women's blouses or men's neck ties.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:07 am »
Did not think of neck ties. Thats a good idea. Again tho i dont actually intend on resorting to it. Just askin questions