Author Topic: Del's Classic Yew Longbow  (Read 4545 times)

Stringman

Del's Classic Yew Longbow
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:47 pm »
This stick has come a long ways! I believe I traded for it originally from Bryce, then handed it off to Del last year at the Classic for something to work on. He spent the better part of 3 days scraping it into shape and stored it over Pappy's bench for a full year before I was able to sweet talk Pappy into handing it back. Del said it was close, but needed a few more scrapes to get it tillered out to 28". I went carefully, knowing this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Once the tiller was perfect the tips were added and a strike plate was inlaid. 4 coats of tung oil were applied and the leather handle was sewed in place. I'm calling it done and I'm pleased with it! 72" ttt 62#@28". Strike plate is taqua nut with buff horn tips and 10 strands of Dyna 97.

Thanks Del for the chance to participate in this tandem build. Hope the finish work isn't too much of an embarrassment.  ;)

God Bless!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:44:25 pm by Stringman »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Del's Classic Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
Woo, great to see her finished :)
I recognise that stave like an old friend... I see you pushed her out to over 60# and she's still pretty straight.
Really cool to share the build, I feel I probably left you more work than I aimed to but I was havin' so much fun over there I kept getting distracted ;D
Nice clean simple lines, that braced shape is soooo elegant.
Where's the FD shot tho'  ???... or can't you pull the 60#  ;)
Nice work my friend
Del
PS. I see all that bark popped off in the end. That sapwood is just perfect thickness... or is that thinness ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Del's Classic Yew Longbow
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:01:51 pm »
Beautiful collaboration fellas

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:57:04 pm »
Great teamwork guys and congrats on a fine bow.  It would be too much for my old shoulders but a dandy to look at.  Cheers!
Drew - Boone, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
Hey I remember that one!!! Sweet...bet it shoots sweet too. ........but Scott....buddy ole pal. Where's the FD? And I'm hoping ya bring it back to the classic next year...

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:08:11 pm »
Outstanding work!  Leonardo de Vinci (sp) tweeted 14 years with the Mona Lisa so you can tweet as long as you like but at some point you are hovering around near-perfection so just accept you are within the atmosphere of perfection and be happy!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:09:03 pm »
Nice job finishing that one Scott, but how did you get that critter on the tip to stand still long enough to get a picture..... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline smoke

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »
Ok - he didn't tweet- he modified his design.  Now I can't figure out how to correct a tweet!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:01 pm »
Stunning longbow.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 09:17:31 pm »
It wasn't a half bad piece of wood to start with. Looks like it got treated right! 

I remember Del playing with this stave at the Classic.  He was so tickled to show off his custom made "strain gauges" as he was bringing the floor tiller around.  It's a wonder he got any work done the way people kept interrupting him (me included).

Hopefully you had a little more peace and quiet for your part of the build, Scott.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:25:50 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »
  The braced shape of the bow is about as nice as I have ever seen. I have no doubt full draw will look equally as good or better.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:28:04 pm »
Finally got the daughter to help with the FD. Not so sure the tiller is perfect now that I can see it in a photo.

Chris I will definitely bring it next year.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 03:45:41 am »
I just held the old CD (that I stand my tea mug on) up to the screen.
Perfect arc of a circle  :) :) :).
If you really insist on me being picky ::) I'd say you could maybe narrow the tips a whisker blending them in over the last 4 or 5 inches to get that Spitfire wingtip look.
And maybe that writing on the side is a little wiggly ;)
Del
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:09:54 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:07:32 am »
Very cool Scott, that is a beauty. Very well done.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 06:32:25 am »
Thanks guys for including us in the camaraderie and connection of this build. Lights up my day. Nice looking bow too.