Author Topic: When to back  (Read 4629 times)

Offline DC

Re: When to back
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:22 pm »
I guess I won't be backing this one now. Bad design, one hinged limb and one stiff limb that I couldn't even out. At 40#, it went blamo!

I'm wondering if that gray wood had anything to do with it.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 02:54:57 pm »
Looks like rot to me.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »
I guess I won't be backing this one now. Bad design, one hinged limb and one stiff limb that I couldn't even out. At 40#, it went blamo!

Before that happens, seriously why back it after it's tillered at that time it should be a bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 03:23:50 am »
Chose better wood next time!
No discoloration at all.
Remove the bark and you will have a pristine continuous ring and don't back it!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
If backing a bow makes you confident in the bow, then do it. Who cares if it "needs" it or not. It needs it if you decide it does. Id add rawhide after a good floor tiller and when you know for a fact it wont need anymore heat applied.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:56:37 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 10:56:08 am »
Thanks Pearl Drums. My motivation is to create something cool for a friend, a memory of a shared experience, plus to learn how to do it. This hobby reminds me of when I was learning to tie flies a decade ago. So many techniques and materials to learn about and gather. Screw ups become lessons, and, in this hobby, firewood:) I love it!

I never considered the blue to be rot. Not what I consider rot, but I guess if a bit of insect or fungi got in there, it would compromise the integrity. New lesson learned!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
Tie flies? Buy them! Much, much cheaper :)

Discountflies dot com

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 10:01:24 pm »
Tie flies? Buy them! Much, much cheaper :)

Discountflies dot com

Must be fishing season and not hunting season......right Pearl   :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 02:39:06 am »
Don't be too hard on yourself. Bigleaf is not a good wood. Needs to be wide and long for a bow. Wild cherry is a better wood for backing. Where are you? California?

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:51 am »
I am on Vancouver Island, in BC. I am really excited because I may have a line on some yew logs from the North Island. All my problems will be solved! I am going to try another maple bow. 72" long and 2" wide, and maybe around 30#. Bow for my wife. I may play with the cherry, will see how time goes. It may go in the woodstove. It is great for that!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 09:32:27 am »
Choke cherry and pin cherry both make pretty good bows and both should be in your area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
We have something called "Bitter Cherry" (Prunus emarginata). I have a couple of pieces drying. According to my books "Pin" and "Choke" aren't on the Island. They are east of the Coast Range.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:06 pm »
I have bitter cherry too, all dried. Need split the logs and have a look. Hope it works ok.

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »
We have something called "Bitter Cherry" (Prunus emarginata). I have a couple of pieces drying. According to my books "Pin" and "Choke" aren't on the Island. They are east of the Coast Range.

Bow101 just sent me a link to a gov't site that says Chokecherry does grow on the south end of the Island. I stand corrected :D. Vancouver Island has a large difference in trees from north to south.

Offline bow101

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

Bow101 just sent me a link to a gov't site that says Chokecherry does grow on the south end of the Island. I stand corrected :D. Vancouver Island has a large difference in trees from north to south.

As a matter of fact that scrap piece I gave you was cherry not Hawthorn.  No wonder it was sweet smelling when I cut into it. 
Hawthorn is quite prevalent down here its Knarly like Black Locust.   :)  Small flowers, small berries and rough bark.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell