Author Topic: Stacking  (Read 5259 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Stacking
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:18 pm »
Lately I've been revisiting some earlier bows I made, putting them through my chrony and doing FD charts. I know lots of guys don't bother with this stuff, and I'm one of them, usually, but it's pretty cool to see how some bows compare to others.
Its very obvious when your shooting a sweet shooter, or a stinker, but for me seeing it visually on a graph is helpful.
ive always been told that 90 degrees is the limit, and that bad stacking will occur if you go past that.
Some of my wood bows begin to stack before 90 degrees, but othets barely stack when they're drawn more than half their length.
I've heard that horn bows can be very smooth even beyond 90 degrees as well.
string angle to me doesn't seem to give the full reason for stacking, and that materials play a huge role too. Some bows hit a wall and can't give you more, while it seems like some can just take it.
Just an observation, sorry for the ramble!

Offline Ryan C

Re: Stacking
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:04:27 pm »
Shorter Stiff handle bows seem to stack with very little draw.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:14:01 pm »
If you look at the geometry, beyond 90deg the limb tips are pulled back, straight through the limb instead of the limb bending to the string. Flipping the tips reduces the string angle so a longer draw is possible. Look at an Asiatic horn bow at full draw. The string angle at the tips is still under or right at 90deg, even with the longer draw.
 A F/D curve should tell the tale though. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »
To me the question is how do you measure string angle?
It's the angle between what and what?
If the last inch of limb flips though 90 degrees it can look like a better string angle, but it's so close to the tip it makes no difference...or does it give a slightly longer string?
Surely it depends which bit of the limb is actually bending.. what I'm saying is if you look at a bow at full draw and mark where the tip and fade are.
Assuming the limb starts out at the fade at the ame angle of deflex or reflex you could draw all sorts of weird and wonderful limb shapes that joined up those two points... but would they actually perform differently and why?
Hmmm smacks of overthink maybe...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:45:40 pm »
   Thats all true PAT but there's one other thing that cotrolls stack. It's when one lmb finish's be fore the other. Shorter the limbs more and stronger the stack. Use'lly thats why longer bows have less stach. It's easyer to tiller older bows than shorter ones also.

Comes down to your tillering. Pats satement about string angles 90 degress is right on. This the same princable as why bows with around 1 or 2 inch of string follows alright.

That distance seams to help with stacking.

Here's what I do when I lay the bow out. I make sure the place of my handle has 5 or 6 inchs where the limbs will be. Are also straght. From here your tillering  as to make both limbs finish the same.
inng ame.

Just because you put on a straing and your frofile looks good dos'nt mean both limbs finish the same.

Most bows it you tiller to a good profile it'll be oAS YOUR TILLING GET BETTER YOUR BOWS SHOOT SMOUTHER IT SHOOTS. THE CLOSER THE LIMBS FINISH THE SAME THE BETTER YOUR BOW WILL SHOOT AGAIN SMOOTHER AND ALSO  WHERE YOU LOOK WILL GET BETTER WITH TILLERING ALSO.

Bows that the limbs arn't already close the ones you have to take out deflex are prime canadates for stacking.

Putin g in reflex green makes sure the stave I start with it as even as it can get. My bows wont's stack untill I get down in the low 5o's. Then I can start feeling finger pinch. A 56" bows are perfect for me to shoot right off the ground. Closer to the ground easyer it is to camo in.

I like to gobbler hunt right off my butt with a selfbow. And shoot off milk creats most time BUCK HUNTING. But if the place is right I'll don't have a problem setting on the grond buck hunting.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:57:04 pm »
If you look at the geometry, beyond 90deg the limb tips are pulled back, straight through the limb instead of the limb bending to the string. Flipping the tips reduces the string angle so a longer draw is possible. Look at an Asiatic horn bow at full draw. The string angle at the tips is still under or right at 90deg, even with the longer draw.
 A F/D curve should tell the tale though. 

It's all abut string angle
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:31:03 pm »
Del, my idea of string angle is where the string comes off the tip, the first inch or so.  The way I see it is after 90deg the string pulls along the length of the limb instead of pulling against the bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 10:00:40 pm »
In addition to the above, whip tillered bows will also stack unless left long. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 10:35:33 pm »
Levers are great against stack because they reduce string angle. It's all about leverage.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:01:04 pm »
Build up the tips, easy peasy.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 11:17:34 am »
JAWGE your right I forgot to add that.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:42:33 am »
 A whip tillered bow is still just an example of the string angle scenario.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 06:17:13 pm »
With the bows the seem to stack before the 90 degree angle, I wonder if the fibers are maxing out the amount that they will freely move before binding. I'm thinking that since the fibers are hollow tubes that we are stretching and compressing, the fibers have to move in some way. When the fibers stretch they will pull in tighter making them narrower and the belly fibers will squash down and pudge out. I'm thinking that the bows that seem to stack before 90 degrees if these tubular fibers have thicker walls that have a shorter distance they can be stretched or squashed before they bind in there movement. And it would be the same but opposite for the ones that seems to stay smooth past 90 degrees. The fiber walls might be thinner allowing more stretching or squashing effect before binding.

I have no idea if this is true or not, just a though. I hope I explained well enough for my thinking to be understood.

Kyle

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 06:55:29 pm »
No, that's just your perception. The wood will just continue to disrupt in structure. As long as you maintain leverage advantage you can't actually "feel" that point.
 That's how ignorant people break bows by overdrawing them. They aren't conditioned to the sudden failure response so they plow right through that mythical stacking wall.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:49 pm »
 Here's what CROOKETARROW told me. When stacks becomes notesable when you draw the more and father you draw, the more you run out of bending wood the more stack you get.

Shorter bows have less wood to bend. Quicker to 90% and more stack.

This exsplane's why longer bows have less stack. They have more limb with bendy wood.

Better tiller more bendy wood less stack