Author Topic: tree ID please  (Read 3634 times)

Offline k-hat

tree ID please
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:20 pm »
Friend cut this very heavy tree (heavier than bodark he 's pretty sure), i didnt see it in person so we r trying to figure it out.  Only thing i can think of heavier than bodark in this area (Texas) is maybe HHB.

Thanks!!!

Offline Joec123able

Re: tree ID please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »
I doubt it's heavier than Osage, Osage is the hardest and heaviest native wood to North America so the only way it'd be heavier is if it were a foreign wood which it didn't look like.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:19:51 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Looks like HHB to me....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:31:32 pm »
HHB. Wouldn't be surprised if the green weight is heavier than Osage.  Trees vary in the amount of water they have in them while live.
 Texas also has three potential varieties of HHB depending on location.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:35:03 pm by PatM »

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »
I doubt it's heavier than Osage, Osage is the hardest and heaviest native wood to North America so the only way it'd be heavier is if it were a foreign wood which it didn't look like.

Live Oak has osage beat on both accounts but either way, a dense HHB, Rock elm, Persimmon or whatever may actually be heavier than a less dense osage. Wood is variable like that.

There are a few types of hornbeam with the major two being Carpinus caroliniana and Ostrya virginiana. The one pictured would be Carpinus caroliniana which is in the beech family
Springfield, MO

vtbow

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:10:28 pm »

There are a few types of hornbeam with the major two being Carpinus caroliniana and Ostrya virginiana. The one pictured would be Carpinus caroliniana which is in the beech family

Ahhh, the leaves even look a little beech-like. And I always think HHB has bark that's a little elm-like. No mistaking the density of the wood, though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:11 pm »

[/quote]

Carpinus may be known as Blue Beech because of its superficial resemblance to a Beech but it is in no way related. This tree pictured is Ostrya (Hophornbeam rather than just Hornbeam) and possibly either Knowlton or Chisos Hophornbeam.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:18:27 pm »
Nice to know my suspicions were correct!  Thanks  guys.  Now I'm wishing I had gotten my hands on some of it for bow wood. :-\

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:28 pm »

Live Oak has osage beat on both accounts but either way, a dense HHB, Rock elm, Persimmon or whatever may actually be heavier than a less dense osage. Wood is variable like that.

Forgot about live oak, but if you research it Osage has a higher janka hardness and the SG on live oak varies all the way from (.80 to 1.00) compared to Osage at average of (.86) .their average weights are also pretty close
I like osage

Offline DavidV

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:49:06 am »

Carpinus may be known as Blue Beech because of its superficial resemblance to a Beech but it is in no way related. This tree pictured is Ostrya (Hophornbeam rather than just Hornbeam) and possibly either Knowlton or Chisos Hophornbeam.
[/quote]

Yep, mind must have slipped. It's in the birch family but like you said, the common name is blue beech.
Springfield, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 07:04:46 am »
That's not like any beech or HHB we have. Not even close.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:15 am »
Is your HHB very consistent in its bark structure? Ours is very variable.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 08:52:12 am »
Very consistent. And, I've yet to find any type of beech or HHB that is that color and nearly all heartwood. Not saying it isn't HHB, just saying it has none of the characteristics ours does.

My guess is its an elm of sorts. The heartwood color and bark pattern matches elms up here. But again, its nearly all heartwood in that pic. Those micro leaves seems "off" to me as well. That's a decent sized stump for such tiny leaves.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 09:37:42 am »
Good points. I'd like to see a cross section of the trunk a bit higher up. The Knowlton or Western HHB does have tiny leaves but it tends to be a small shrubby tree which this doesn't appear to be.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 11:00:16 am »
It has the elm "buttresses" at the base there,and it looks like all whitewood to me...wish I could see if its ring porous or not...if its ring porous it def ain't hhb..also the leaves are so small for an elm,n more like hhb. I can't say for sure 100% what it is.