Author Topic: acacia?  (Read 3828 times)

Offline bushboy

acacia?
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:12:04 pm »
So I bought a board 72"x2"-1/4"x 15/16" as I remember reading it was decent bow wood somewhere.a little search later, there are some 1300 different species, dang!little more searching the species gets mixed reveiws.so I plan to back it with rock maple and plan to make the sapwood side the belly,most will be. Remove juring tillering.it looks like a cross between Koa,black wattle and Australian blackwood(call the store I got it from and they have no clue)any suggestion or advice on dim,or tips?thx's Rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

Re: acacia?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »
Oh yes,it was 19.99 a board foot.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:58:08 pm »
Love the sap wood grain...nice lookin stuff.  I'm sure you'll make her bend nicely.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:41 pm »
Is this rings coming to the surface?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:07:03 pm »
Yes DC,i'm Donna back it.bought some more glue.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:45 pm »
I would use a thicker backing strip.  Have a good look down the edge and make sure there is no grain run off and you should be good to go.  Why bother with the sapwood...?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24:32 am »
I've been working with Acacia Confusa here in Taiwan for several years now. It looks very similar to the acacia you have, but the color of it is significantly more beautiful with streaks of purple-heart like purples and greys. I wouldn't trust the sap wood as it tends to rot. It is sort of like an Ipe that has no tension problems and is as difficult to work and gains machine burns as easily as purple heart. Bends like a noodle though, just doesn't like to bend back so crisply. I seriously hope you do not intend to steam or heat bend it. It will refuse to stay still after doing so and will twist all over the place. So, if you do, you will need to bind it to a form and let it sit for a good month in dry conditions before moving forward with it. I would also advise you do so after roughing out the bow shape as well. I just roughed out a stave and backed it with ash only to see it twist like a spring as soon as the weather got wet (and that stave had been cured for 3 years prior!). Another issue with it is the grain tends to be wavy and it will have unseen creases in the wood grain quite often. Regardless, it has some incredible properties and if you use a cabinet scraper on that stuff on the final tiller... WOW it will shine like water on a sunny day. I'm still waiting for a good bow out of it though, I can't seem to get a problem free piece of wood even though there are literally thousands of huge acacia trees in the mountains behind my house. Frustrating just thinking about it. Let me know how it goes!