Author Topic: Arrowhead question  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Buck67

Arrowhead question
« on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:04 am »
I have been researching arrows used by tribes in North America.  I found that I can make a pretty decent brass arrowhead using nothing more than a Hammer, cold steel chisel and a file.  I make steel arrowheads from the steel band from an old Whiskey barrel.  However those steel band arrow heads require a good hacksaw and a vise..  Back in the day, if blacksmiths were making arrowheads for trade goods, would they have used hacksaws or would they have heated up the metal and cut it while it was hot.  I think this would have been a job given to the apprentice, something to do when there wasn't anything else to do.

Some of the steel arrowheads in museums have holes drilled/punched in them so that they could be strung.  I understand that Voyageurs were not allowed to carry trade goods with them in the boat, but if they wore them on their body they could carry them with them.  So, where did the voyageurs get their arrowheads.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Arrowhead question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »
   Yes a blacksmith would cut it hot.

Not so sure about the holes but I'm sure it wasn't for voyageurs.

Crooketarrow my old Friend once told me. The Iroquois drilled holes in their trade points among other ways so if they missed. When the arrow went past the deer will look at the arrow once it go's by.

If you were quick and lucky enough you might get off a second shot.

Crooketarrow as a still hunter and stalker PERIOD. He didn't drill any holes he only shot kn aped heads. But he use to burn his feathers that use to leave the top of the feather a little longer that whistle.

For the same purpose and I've seen him get off that second shot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »
I have noticed that certain methods of fletching produce more noise than others.  I thought maybe those were for warning shots.  I hadn't considered that they would "freeze" game for a vital second shot.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:05 pm »
Most of the Indian made points were cut out with a chisel, and then filed to shape. Some of them were just simple triangles, and were often pretty crude. The nicer ones had a shank on hem, and often had notches filed into the shank. Thousands and thousands of points were made by blacksmiths for the Indian trade. At least on the points that were traded on the plains, I think some had holes so they could be strung together by the traders.    Curtis

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:15:23 am »
I tried cutting a steel arrowhead from a barrel hoop with a chisel and a big hammer.  After a while I gave up.  I guess if I had no other choice it would be possible.  With a hacksaw and a file and a vise, I can make a usable arrowhead in 5 minutes.  I'll have to see how long it will take with just a hammer and a chisel.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »
James Hanson recently published some information on metalworking of the plains tribes.  With every single axe head collected in every museum he had visited, the axes showed signs of chisels and other tool marks indicating that axeheads doubled as anvils for metal working.  Sheet metal goods were prized trade goods, but few if any sheet metal goods survived to end up in museums. He indicates that cookpots in particular had second and third lives after they rusted a hole in being made into everything arrow heads to hair decorations and jewelry.

The Sioux, particularly, abandoned stone points as soon as trade points were available. But there were no "voyageurs" as such out their way.  Rather, trading posts such as Fort Union at the confluence of the Yellowstone and the Missouri Rivers.  In the southwest corner of the fort, the blacksmith's forge stood.  The blacksmiths cranked out all kinds of goods from raw iron bars.

Thru the front gate, bear left past the Trade Room and there is the blacksmith's corner

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »
  Buck I don't smith much anymore but I do make,harden,temped trade points and knives. I use old 1095 steel from old (cicler)saw mill blades. I've made dozzens of knives and 100's of trade points from old saw mill blades. Most are 1/8 th inch. Some of the ones 3,4 feet across are 3/16 ths.

Aneal it first (soften) makes it easy to saw or cut. Later reharden then retemped it. With 1095 you can harden and temper it to 54,55 RW hardest useing only the kitchen oven.

Little solft but easy to sharpen.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING