Author Topic: Benchtop vise question  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Benchtop vise question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
Get a 5" or 6" heavy AMERICAN made vise, older flea market vises are almost always American made, bigger is better if you have a place to mount one.

I broke at least 2 possibly 3 Chinese vises before I spent about twice the money for a good American made vise that I have had for at least 10 years.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:56 am »

Start out buying what you can afford. You don't have to have anything fancy to build bows.

Agree.

But I too was sooooo impressed with those stave presses used at Marshall.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 12:17:06 am »
I built my stave press if you can weld it's not that hard
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline J05H

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 03:59:26 am »
I have busted the bottoms out of two swiveling vices.  Do NOT go cheap if you have to buy a swiveling version.

+1

The kinds of forces exerted on a swiveling bench vice can destroy a cheaply made one in short order. I think I went through three before I learned that lesson. I have a stave press now, and I love it.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 04:53:57 am »
Good  bench top for me, to many folks use my stave press and have 2 broken, it is really all in what you get use to and I am use to the bench top. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 05:18:41 am »
bench top vice with a '3rd hand' moveable support that you can clamp further along the bench with a G clamp.
A couple of good pics of what I mean on this post:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/starting-and-finishing.html
I keep a piece of old carpet over the vice jaws for conveinence, I also have soft jaws (but that's more to do with my age ::) ;))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 06:43:44 am »
I've used em all and nothing beats a stave press.....if ya get one just be mindful of keeping the top plate that's on a swivel level and it'll last ya a long time. I use diff thickness shims at times to keep it level. If ya don't the walls holding around the  ball swivel will wanna stretch,tear,and eventually break and come off. I've been using mine hard for a few years now and its still holding up nicely.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 07:08:58 am »
What Chris said. Stave presses break when the inside plate gets cranked on with an uneven load. You cant apply 1-2 tons of pressure on an un-even ball screw and think it will stay put. Shim up the opposing side and your good for a long time. Most everybody who owns one has that same piece of hardwood wedged in there every where they go. I got mine from Cody and his are much. much more robust than the store bought type. He ring welds a washer over the ball end, aint nuttin' coming free there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 08:36:34 am »
My personal favorite is a blacksmith post vise. I like em so much I have 3 now. Watch craigslist.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 08:54:38 am »
If you are the main one using them the stave press is a great vice, I had all the shims hanging on the post I mounted my 2 on ,but as I said some people just don't know and hard to watch especially at the Classic  ??? :o  and the both broke where  Good Chris and Bad Chris said they would. If I was the only one using it I would defiantly get another. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:56 am »
I have found a support post is very important when you use a bench mounted vise. You can see mine in the picture. I use the support post for supporting the end of a stave when heat bending, general wood removal and can drawknife a stave hard enough to rattle stuff off my workbench without having the stave get loose in my vise.

I have posted these vise jaw pads before but will again for those who haven't seen them. Easy to make and easy to remove.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:29 am »
I use a woodworker's vice and drop in a piece of leather to line it. I used to support the other end to, like Eric.
Now I have a dedicated bench for bows.
Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/bowbench.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »
I have been using a pattern makers vise, sometimes referred to as a gun stock carving vise, for quite a few years. It mounts on the work bench through a center bolt at a good height and you can swivel it around.