Author Topic: yew sapwood / heartwood separation while curing  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
yew sapwood / heartwood separation while curing
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:20 pm »
I was lucky enough to find some wild Canadian Yew here in PA this winter. I managed to harvest around a dozen staves. I debarked and split them. After sealing them with poly I put them in the basement rafters. The two nicest/cleanest staves had the sapwood separate from the heartwood. It didn't completely pop off, but in over half the stave there's a gap.

What is the best course of action if I would like to save the sapwood? If it's a lost cause I'll just use the heartwood, but I love that two toned look.

Thanks in advance for all advice.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline wizardgoat

Re: yew sapwood / heartwood separation while curing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:16:19 pm »
You could try to put some thin glue in the cracks and clamp it all tight

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »
Do you think I should thin it down so it gets better coverage? I was even considering loading a syringe with thinned glue and flooding it. It only happened with the two completely clean staves. I suppose those pin knots help hold it together.

~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:20 pm »
oops. I missed the thin part of your response.

thanks goat
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:07:23 am »
Use some thin runny ca glue
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:14:09 am »
My question would be why did it delaminate? Is it wind shear, something attacking the early ring or was it just separate while drying?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
I'd say don't risk it.
Saw off the sapwood, clean it up leaving the underbark surface untouched. E.G flatten it from the belly side to make a sapwood backing strip.
Similarly clean up the heartwood and then use the sapwood as a backing strip.
It's the only way you'll get a clean sound controlled glue joint with sound wood IMO.
I've done a couple of Yew sapwood backed Yew heartwood bows and if there are hint of sapwood left visible in the heartwood belly it's hard to tell it's not a solid stave.
There is another advantage in that you can glue in reflex.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 11:29:08 am »
How large are the pieces? I've never seen it much larger than an inch or so in diameter although we have tons of it up here.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »
How large are the pieces? I've never seen it much larger than an inch or so in diameter although we have tons of it up here.
Oh... If it's that skinny, then my suggestion is no good.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »
Canadian Yew is a ground spreading shrub that apparently evolved to cope  with the Ice Age.

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 02:40:08 pm »
I've seen a couple of 150lb bows made from Canadian yew.  Definitely smaller in dimension than a Pacific yew bow of the same weight.

Always wanted to try some, as the stuff I've seen looks incredibly dense.  Lots of variation within the same species I suppose, as with all wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
 It does apparently rarely form an upright stem but I have never seen a single one in decades of searching. Possibly in areas  where it has been less impacted by ice?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »
They were about 5" -6" in diameter. I managed a four way split on most of the staves. Del's idea could work for the one log I only halved.

I suppose it may be a hybrid that somehow found it's way into the woodland. There was the small low to the ground yew in the same area. I wonder if the low stuff reaches a certain maturity and they shoots for the canopy. Either way it was unexpected and pleasant surprise at that.

I finished one bow out of the batch already, but it had significant deflex to to start with. The sister stave is the one I'm excited about finishing. Where's there's deflex there's reflex.

~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 06:51:23 pm »
Pat

If I had to guess at the cause I would say it was due mostly to the drying. The staves that it happened to were really clean/ no pin knots even. I think the pin knots do a lot to keep the sap wood attached.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »
They were about 5" -6" in diameter. I managed a four way split on most of the staves. Del's idea could work for the one log I only halved.

I suppose it may be a hybrid that somehow found it's way into the woodland. There was the small low to the ground yew in the same area. I wonder if the low stuff reaches a certain maturity and they shoots for the canopy. Either way it was unexpected and pleasant surprise at that.

I finished one bow out of the batch already, but it had significant deflex to to start with. The sister stave is the one I'm excited about finishing. Where's there's deflex there's reflex.
Apparently it can only form an upright shoot from the initial sprouting. The flat lying stems don't change direction. Not sure if it would naturally hybridise with some  planted yew.