Author Topic: whats good for sarcoptic mange mites?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline beartail

whats good for sarcoptic mange mites?
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:18:19 pm »
have any of you guys ever had a bout with the mange? my sister brought home a puppy that spread it to the other dogs and us! aggravating little bastards! forgive my French! what will knock the crap out of these mean critters? off the dog and around the house and yard? I want them to suffer!(the mites)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: whats good for sarcoptic mange mites?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:56:04 pm »
A veterinarian.  Only the prescription stuff will really deal with this.  Other things will temporarily relieve some of the symptoms, but it never kills it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »
There are several web sites on the subject.
Most include using dips for your animals.
We used to get them without prescription.
That may have changed. We never had humans get it.
That would be tricky to treat. Yikes
Like JW says, professional help may be the best remedy.
Good luck,
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:30:04 pm »
Try Nix shampoo, the same stuff you use for head lice.  The active ingredient is Permethrin and should work.  If that don't work try the Vet.  :laugh:

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline beartail

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:42:50 pm »
use the lice shampoo on the dog too right?

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:14:17 pm »
Used to dip pups up to the neck in used motor oil. Oil kills the mites and sticks to the dog a long time. Plus it makes the coat real smooth and shiny.  Btw, thats a for real sugestion.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:04:34 pm »
interesting note the active ingredient in NIX is permithrin 1 %, which you are to put on and wash into your hair, The active ingredient in Sawyers insect repellent is 0.5%

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:47:19 pm »
And dipping dogs in used motor oil is giving them a bath in lead, arsenic, zinc, molybdenum and cadmium. Exposure to the skin long term has been proven to lead to skin cancer. It was the norm when I was growing up, too, but in the long run it doesn't help the dog too much.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online sleek

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:31:25 am »
Ok, fIr point Eddie,  new motor oil then?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline beartail

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:07:30 am »
my grandpa used used moter oil to. it is bad bad bad for aminals! thank yall for the help.it got my mom so bad she had to go to the Dr. he gave her some kinda cream it halps but they still eaten her up! her dog keeps re infesting her I think.shes gonna take her dog to the vet,her boy friend is gonna pay fir her visit.im gonna find out what thay charge to just put ME down and then I wont have to worrie about it no more lol! this is gonna be something we never gonna forget! better be careful if you ever get a pet.be dang shure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 03:28:38 am »

We used the burnt motor oil also, but included flour of sulfur.  It worked great for our dogs, and even some strays we felt sorry for.  We did not dip them, but used a rag, and applied it to the infected area.  Never had a problem with the dogs getting sick.  They were always well taken care of.  The vet always commented on how healthy they were.  But when the mange hit, from stray dogs, or whatever, we used the motor oil, and sulfur. 
                                   Wayne

Offline chigger

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:04 pm »
I gave mine Ivomec ,1/10 cc per 10 pound body weight,once a month till it clears up ,its caused by a Mite. It will also worn the dog.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
Razor and kerosene, shave all the hair on one side bald set fire to the other side soaked in kerosene and beat'm with a ball bat when they come running to the bald side >:D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:37 am »
We use burnt motor oil, of course it ant house dog we are dealing with. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline le0n

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »
I gave mine Ivomec ,1/10 cc per 10 pound body weight,once a month till it clears up ,its caused by a Mite. It will also worn the dog.

^^ this (ivermectin) is our go-to choice for sarcops treatment (price & availability). you just have to be very careful in regards to the breed of the dog. although it's extremely hard for us to know, if we even have a hint that a dog has characteristics of a collie or any long-hair breed, we don't treat with it. it will kill the dog.

we've done dog rescue for a little over six years i think.

out of 300 or so dogs that we've had in the past, we made that mistake once and it wasn't pretty. after one treatment in the morning, this dog was barely able to walk straight by the evening. his eyes had fogged (turned almost opaque white). to the emergency vet he went. they had to do some type of i.v. flushing to save him. he was there for about two days before he was released.

now, if we suspect "long hair", they get "Advantage Multi" twice a month until it clears.