Author Topic: Iron Maiden HHB Mollegabet 65# @ 26"  (Read 6423 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Iron Maiden HHB Mollegabet 65# @ 26"
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
Thanks ajooter...probably could but right now at the weight it's at doesn't seem to be an issue.....for me gettin it back is the issue >:D

Here are the pics you asked for Simon...2 posts w/ the last 2 pics being grip fades
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »
grip fades

Offline bowmo

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 12:36:43 pm »
Nice work with a rough stave. Really got away with some flaws on the back with that one! I also named my first hop hornbeam bow 'Iron Maiden'...haha

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 01:14:16 pm »
Thanks bowmo....I called it that because it is an implement of torture when I shoot it ::) Personally I dont believe the bug damage goes below the cambium (except powder post beetles) and in nearly all cases I've run into they seem to have no ill effect of the bow so I dont look at it like "getting away" with something. The wood is really tough in my opinion.
rich

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »
Thanks for the great pics , Rich!
Do you feel handshock? I'm not familar with what you American guys call Molly, but always think the excess mass transport while drawing such a bow would kick in the hands ...

Let me hear your thoughts and experience Rich
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 04:58:54 pm »
Glad you posted this one Rich! It was great seeing you again.

I'll witness to this one being an awesome bow from a piece of wood that most would burn, probably myself included. I shot it, and it shoots like a house on fire. Looks great with all that character too! Nice work Rich!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:06 pm »
Really nice Molly Rich.....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline half eye

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:31 pm »
Thank you DB....Dave glad ya like it.

Simon, I have never had any hand shock on any of these Mollegabet styled bows. I think most folks call them "Molly" as a nickname for Mollegabet. This style bow was found after the "Holmegaard". That bow was similar to an American Flat bow with stiff tips. The Mollegabet has well defined seperation between the working limb and lever elements.

The names come from the way the Scandinavian scientists name their finds....they are named for the nearest town to the dig. I'll post one other picture from the other computer with the artifact reconstruction for you.

(My opinion about the bows and working principles is) I believe that the levers being 50-50 or 60-40 working to lever length acts the same principle as a trebuchet where the working limb is the weight and the lever is ....well the lever. There is also the matter of the lever tip moving considerably farther in it's arc than does the working limb so the stresses are not as bad as one would think. ( this is like an arrow spine tester, the weight and arrow move very little but the tip of the indicator moves a long ways by comparison)  Since the lever is notably thicker and heavier at the fade and quite narrow and thin at the tip I believe there is a very powerfull transfer of energy into the arrow just like a trebuchet does and actually the bows works a lot like that because it will give great cast to heavy arrows on the one hand and does not self destruct with light arrows. Like I said I have never had any issues with shock with any arrow weight...cast is very strong. One added advantage is that the levers if made long like the originals....give some advantage to the bowman to draw more weight than with a full compass, the longer levers also give greater safe draw length on somewhat shorter bows because they increase string length. All of my bows are for hunting primarily, and I have made some with reflexed levers....I dont do that anymore because if you reflex a couple inches you will not have string lift off at brace (more noise and vibration) so If you can make the levers reflexed in such a way as to gain speed but have the bow string lifted off the limb/lever at brace you avoid a lot of shock/vibration when the string comes back to battery.

Like I said just an old mans opinion so please take it with a grain of salt.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »
Simon, Here is the photo of the artifact (mollegabet) and also a picture of a molly I made long ago with flipped tips....notice that it had to have the working limbs deflexed to achieve the string " lift-off" at brace even as moderate as the recurved levers are.
rich

hope this helps

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »
Nice bow Rich. I don't have any experience with molly bows having never made one yet but I do have some experience with knots, bug tracks and borer holes. The few times I've attempted to fashion a bow with the two latter defects didn't work out to well for me,  other than the fact that I wasn't injured when the bows exploded. ;D  I think if I had tried what you just did I would have aimed for a 35# draw bow and I still would have flinched each time I drew it back another inch while tillering.  Impressive work getting a bow out of that defect ridden stave, says a lot about the wood and the bowyer.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 12:14:59 am »
Rich, I'm never disappointed with your posts. Thanks again

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:54 am »
Good work getting that kind of weight out of that stave.  That ironwood is good stuff!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 09:15:11 am »
Very nice from what looks like a questionable piece of wood. Good save. 65lbs Yipes!!! Maybe 20 years ago for me. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 01:53:40 pm »
B2...thank you but ya aint fooling me none I got one of your bows and it is all that I want (2-grunts)

Thanks chuck, means a lot from you.

Howard, my friend that is all about the wood....even a old blind pig can find a truffle with that stuff
               (ya know I'm a 1960's registered truffle hound got my papers during the riots)

I hear every word of that Pappy, It took 4 beers just to get the pictures took, then everything got real funny....or was I drunk? oh well....I'll find her a good home.

Thank you fellas for the nice comments.
rich

Offline simson

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 02:44:04 pm »
Rich, Thanks for the good explanation and the additional pics. I will come back to that post and study intensively. You know I'm just working on a lever bow / Mollie.
It's great to have you all here and getting that info.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany