Author Topic: Getting old ain't for sissies  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Will Tell

Getting old ain't for sissies
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »
My Mother passed at 93 last year and that was her favorite saying. Had a old fella in the barber shop who said he never goes by a chair he doesn't want to sit in. I used to watch my Dad when he got up and he'd fart every other step and make funny noises, now that's me. Now when I sit for awhile it takes a few steps before I get upright and get my legs under me. If I sit against a tree I have to roll over onto my knees and get a hold of the tree to get up. I got two bad shoulders, neck, back, one bad knee and a bad ankle. Other than that I'm fairly good shape.lol how you fellas holdin up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Getting old ain't for sissies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:20 pm »
This isn't a knock on you at all. Humans, specifically Americans, are about as inactive and lazy as we can be. I think our mushy muscles and under worked joints just go to pot on us much quicker. My grandparant's creeked and groaned as well, but not until age 80! I think our bodies feel old too fast nowadays, although our bodies live longer on average thanks to great drugs and combos of great drugs.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »
I'll be 65 at the end of July. Hard for me to believe that. Up until a year and a half ago I was on a landscape management crew. I was in pretty good shape, could control my weight no matter what of how much I ate. Not any more. I wear out fast and can't get the 10# off I've gained since then.
  My Mom passed a few years ago at 92. I went to the Dr. with her one day and the Dr. told her the good news is not many folks die at 92 or older.  ;D Most die before that.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »
Statistically speaking, there is a break point that at which it becomes more and more unlikely that you will die.  Look at the obituaries in the paper.  You see plenty of people in their 70's and 80's passing away, a few in the 90's, very dang few 100 yrs old. When someone over 110 years old dies, it is so noteworthy that it is on the national news.  I infer that at a certain point you become old enough, you literally can't die.

I screwed up my lower back in my late 20's.  Twenty years ago, I was told by an orthopedic surgeon I was a heck of a candidate for back surgery despite being in my early 30's.  He handed me a pad of paper and told me to write down the 5 things I loved most doing.  He said I could put down anything I wanted.  I was supposed to go home and think about that list, and when I was down to the last two activities, I was supposed to come back to see him.  I got 4 left.  I have since found a good chiropractor that ain't into witch doctoring and pseudo-sciences. Now and then my knees bark at me, but for the most part it all functions within spec.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:40:28 am »
Timing of this thread is perfect!

Am selling the motorbikes 'cause sport-touring riding position & arthritis don't play well together.  Was gonna sell the several bicycles too, but talked to one of the daughters couple weeks ago.  She reminded that cycling is the one continuum in my life.  Other hobbies have come and gone.  Marriage has come and gone.  Career has come and gone.  But differing aspects of cycling have been part of my life since grade school, including a self-contained 4,200 mile tour of U.S. just 4 years ago. 

So the bikes will be dusted off, lubed, etc., etc..  And regular morning rides will be resumed. 

Not givin' in to Father Time without a major fight!   >:(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:11 am »
I just turned 40 this month.  I've had a few back surgeries and some things could be better but they could also be a heck of a lot worse.  I'm going elk hunting in CO this year with my buddy Don.  Don turned 80 a few days ago!  That blows me away.  Keep healthy, keep positive, and keep making bows!  Hope we all have a good year!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:19:05 am »
"Too soon Old - too late Smart!" Now I'm retired (62) and can't do much because of 40 years of Smoking  :embarassed:. Now have COPD - My Own dang fault, no one else to blame. Anyone still Smoking - STOP ! I was too Hardheaded - now paying the price. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 04:54:09 am »
I hurt pretty much all over ,but what the heck, I thought that was the way it was supposed to be, worked and played hard all my life and have enjoyed it. I just keep moving and that seems to work for me. Takes a little longer now and have to walk off some back and knee pain when I get up but other that that I am fine. I feel pretty sure my Father and grand fathers were the same ,just never heard them complain about it so that is what I try to do. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:24 am »
No good complaining... the wife won't listen anyway :-*... and even if she did, she wouldn't hear right... going deaf like me.. ::)
Pardon?

Fave old joke:-
Two old guys on the tube (underground train), one asks what station they have reached...
"Is this Wembley?"
"No it's Thursday"
"So am I, lets have drink!"  :laugh:
Just keep laughing, that's keeps us young.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:52:30 am »
Takes me awhile to straighten up if I sit too long now and my shoulders hurt if I work too hard.  I like chairs and my bed has a sweet call at night.

I was going to go in for knee surgery many years ago but I don't react well to anesthetics.  I told the surgeon this and told him that I had done some research and this type of surgery could be done on a local.  When it came time for surgery the anesthetist started prepping me to put me under so I got up and started to walk out of the operating room, this didn't go over well.  My knee is still no worse, possibly better actually, than it was back then
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
I was the picture of health 6 months ago, I could run a chainsaw all day. In Jan my shoulder locked up and I had to get it fixed, things went down hill from there. Being immobile for for a few months took the wind out of my sails, then came the heart stents and more down time. Now the blood thinner I have to take is making me into a wimp.

I really believe the catalyst for my gradual down hill slope health wise was loosing my wife to cancer almost two years ago.   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:52 am »
Ya I have seen that be the case for several over the years Eric, I got faith in you and sure you will rebound soon. Yall have probable seen this but it is one of favorite sayings.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a well preserved body.. but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bow in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW ... What a ride. Got to love that, that is my gold and I have about achieved it the way I feel sometimes..  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
I am finding out that I can't hang with my son much anymore when it comes to working around the hunting camp.  I used to work him to death but now it's the other way around.  I ain't doing too bad at 66 though as my wife and I are training for a long distance, week long bicycle trip and I can still do 25 miles at a time without much trouble.  Got to get it up to 60 miles though.

Shingles kind of kicked my tail last month.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:49 pm »
 ::)Bunch of Sissies. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:37 pm »
Well, all I can say is I am glad I didn't eat Wheaties
when I was a kid--- like you guys and Bruce.  O:) O:)
joshin Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.