Author Topic: master piece bow challenge  (Read 14219 times)

Offline sleek

master piece bow challenge
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:21:04 pm »
Many of us just build bows and concentrate on making a good performer. Im sure we all put a finish on one every once and a while. Id like to challenge folks for just one bow, to make the finest aesthetically pleasing bow they can and post it here.  Im starting one now. Its a bow I want to put all my energy into and make a master piece. I know my wood skills are good but id like to push mynlimits to find out exactly how good and what I can do.  Id love to see other join in.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline alwayslookin

Re: master piece bow challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:36:55 pm »
I like the sound of that. I'm down. I just wish I had some prettier wood to work with. Haha
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:02:20 pm »
I put 100% effort into the finish on all of my bows.  I only make about 6 a year.  If I go to all of the work of building a selfbow I'm going to finish it up the best that I can. I'm putting the first coat of tung oil on a kids bow tonight.  It will get the same effort and treatment as the best bow that I built.   

The exception was my hunting bow.  I went with an ugly no glare TB3 finish.  I wanted a plain stick and string to hunt with.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:22:14 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:50:00 pm »
I put a pretty standard mild-gloss oil finish on all of my orders. If people want stain I stain them, and so far nobody's ordered paint so I just practice on scrap when I can. I always work my tips to how I like them, good and light, and recently did put this antler tip on a mollegabet.

Long story shot I have to put a consistently attractive finish on almost all of my bows. I'm a little lazy with my personal pieces but it it leaves my possession you bet it'll be spiffed up first. I'm building several mollegabets from straight to reflex/deflex, some with padauk and some with antler, one of my modern interpretation holmegaardes that really isn't a holmegaarde, and a 75" 60#@33" flatbow with antlers-- all about par for the course as far as finish work goes for me.

I'm building a bat-bow for my bestie up in Poulsbo, getting the black dye and intricate tip treatment as well as 3-4 scallops, reflex/deflex, and reflexed levers. Maybe I'll use that one. I'm only planning a basic 40-45#@26" bendy molle for myself, nothing special. I like the idea of see others' best, though :)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:49 pm »
   I have to admit that I really admire a well finished bow but I see it as one of any niches bow makers fall into. Any style bow can be finished nicely so no real excuse for not finishing except that I have no real reason to. I seldom show bows or give them away. My 3-d and favorite hunting bows I do a good sanding job and tru oil but thats about as far as I take it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:58 am »
Huisme - careful with padauk for tips overlays it has a nasty habit of failing 'down the line' for little reason. I learnt the hard way with it as core wood in lam bows. If you want red i'd recommend either bloodwood or bubinga.

Offline huisme

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:05:28 am »
Huisme - careful with padauk for tips overlays it has a nasty habit of failing 'down the line' for little reason. I learnt the hard way with it as core wood in lam bows. If you want red i'd recommend either bloodwood or bubinga.

That's news to me but I'll definitely keep on eye on it. I might try simulating high weight on padauk overlays in my clamp at different angles and see what wears it down the most. In the mean time I'll see about getting some bubinga, I like the name better ;D
50#@26"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:20:59 am »
Sounds like a worthy gold, but like Steve, finish work is my weak suite. Can't make myself spend more time finishing a bow than making one, I see some that that is what they really want to do and that is fine, but be careful, I have seen a lot that rush the build just so they can get to the finish work and make them pretty.  :) Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing them, I love pretty bows. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:31:34 am »
To a large extent it's a problem of photography rather than the actual bow.
Even a simple horn nock can be photographed to look dull as ditch water or can be lit to make it look shiny and cool.
Prettiest bow I did was an ELB for a 12 yr old girl, I went to town on it as it was for her Mum to give as her birthday present.
Red leather grip from Rolls Royce upholstery leather MOP arrow plate, Black Water buffalo nocks with white streaks in it.
It was still pretty plain and simple by some standards... no deep gloss finish.

Mind I do have some of the Outlaw's Osage and a pair of snake skins from Cip' that I'm looking to marry together sometime :laugh:
There, you've got me hooked now!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:40 am »
I accepted that challenge early on and try to make every one of my bows as pleasing to the eye as they are to shoot. I want each of them to represent the best I'm capable of, so perfect fit and finish is my goal every time. No corners or flat surfaces, good flow end to end, flawless glue joints, no tool or sanding marks, tasteful dye work, professional grade or better finish, you get the idea. All of my mentors were meticulous about such things and it rubbed off I guess.

I apologize in advance to Huisme, I don't like to be critical of another's work unless they ask me to... but for instance, see that little gap on the antler tip in his picture, where it fades out onto the limb? If that got by me somehow (it wouldnt) I'd cut it off, sand it flat, and reinstall it. I'm cursed I tell ya :^)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:18 am »
I think your backwards. Many already make the best bow they can every time, and a few half ass stuff requiring a "challenge" to put any effort forth.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:58:50 am »
I'll try harder next time... I promise

Offline huisme

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:31 pm »
I apologize in advance to Huisme, I don't like to be critical of another's work unless they ask me to... but for instance, see that little gap on the antler tip in his picture, where it fades out onto the limb? If that got by me somehow (it wouldnt) I'd cut it off, sand it flat, and reinstall it. I'm cursed I tell ya :^)

No, you're right, it's a flaw I asked the owner to let me fix but he thought it didn't matter. I'm not saying there are any hard feelings there ::)  ;D

I still thought it was pretty enough to take a picture of considering I just haven't seen any others done this way damaged or not. And yes, I'm doing it again on another bow ;)
50#@26"

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 04:24:17 pm »
Flaws add more character  ;)

I may be cursed to strive for perfection, but certainly don't don't proclaim to have ever acheived it  :-\
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline huisme

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 05:11:44 pm »
Flaws add more character  ;)

I may be cursed to strive for perfection, but certainly don't don't proclaim to have ever acheived it  :-\

At least the problem is more the impossible goal than your work ;D
50#@26"