Author Topic: Bats in my belfry  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Will Tell

Bats in my belfry
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:59 am »
I hate Bats, they give me the willies. I got bat crap all over my back porch and they must be crawling up the brick and getting in my attic. Any way I can get rid of them?????  Someone said there s a sound they don't like and it screws with their radar.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bats in my belfry
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:18 am »
Shot gun around a security light at night, great fun. >:D ;) :) Kidding ,not sure how to get rid of them, I just put up a bat box, of course it is away from the cabin. :) I like them, they eat tons of bugs and skitters which I dislike even more, and fun to watch fly at night. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »
I dont mind bats. As a kid my dad and I would toss pebbles in the aid and watch the bats chase them.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »
I've seen people hang burlap or screen over the place they are in. It has to hang loose on the bottom so they can get out but with it hanging they can't get back in. might not work if they are climbing the brick. Good luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »
Do a Google search on "getting rid of bats". There is a ton of stuff. Before you do any of  them though, make a bathouse or two to give them a place to go. We're losing too many bats to "White Nose". They need our help. Anything that helps keep mosquitoes down is a friend of mine.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:56 pm »
Do a Google search on "getting rid of bats". There is a ton of stuff. Before you do any of  them though, make a bathouse or two to give them a place to go. We're losing too many bats to "White Nose". They need our help. Anything that helps keep mosquitoes down is a friend of mine.

ditto

If you were prepared before night fall with some expanding foam
and knew what you need to seal--- you could close things in after
the bats go flying. There entry/exit points should be soiled.
Not sure about babies. You'd have to check that too.
The guano can contain rabies. be catreful with clean up.
Good luck
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:08 pm »
How many are we looking at? I ask for one reason only, depending on species it can be a maternal colony. I had a maternal colony of 300 or so little brown bats in my house a few years ago, this time of year the young have been born but not weened. If you seal the entry, you will only get approximately half the adults the remainder will stay with the young.  They will die in the attic and create one heck of a smelly mess or try to get out and more than likely find a way in to your living space.  I waited for Sept. then sealed the entry.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 06:36:26 am »
Bluegill has it nailed, I called a wildlife pro and he said the exact same thing. He also said they would leave after the first frost and then seal up up entry holes. Most exterminators quit doing bats because you have to fill out paper work and your not supposed to kill them. I guess those rabid bats have rights to. I can get along with them and just kep cleaning bat crap up.lol

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:56 am »
Bats are cool... and prob' here way before we were.
Wait til they go then stop 'em coming back.
Don't be mean just 'cos you ain't furry and can't fly :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 09:54:01 am »
Dont know how to get rid of em but always like watching them. Found one last summer with a wing stuck on my barbed wire fence. Took two sticks to get him unwound and set free without getting bit. Was around 90 deg in the middle of the day and he only flew about 20 feet untill he went down in the high grass. Dont know if he survived or not.
Steve Bennett

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:25:49 am »
People have had more success with two bat houses over just one because most bat populations split up into maternal and bachelor groups over the summer months. As far as bats in the house, find out how many and if it's like bluegill said, let the young mature and leave in the fall and repair in the colder months. If you want the bats to return put up some bat boxes in a more desireable location.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:19:28 pm »
Ms. Kerrie Has been wanting me to build a bat house Gonna do it
Tracy good idea on two
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano