Author Topic: red oak board bow  (Read 8778 times)

Offline GB

Re: red oak board bow
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 01:50:54 am »
I'll send you a PM, Willibow.  Not that I'm trying to keep it a secret, I just don't know PA's rules about naming suppliers.  On another bow making site that I like, they don't let you mention ebay.  I always like to plug Echo Archery on here because of their terrific service and Carson posts his bows on here.  If he sold osage slats, I'd be buying them from him.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:20 am »
I've had good success with rawhide and linen on red oak boards.  I found it's a pain to find good red oak boards however.  I'd skip the backing if my board was good enough.  I'm not a fan of synthetic materials like fiberglass but to each their own.  It would just feel wrong to slap that on a beautiful piece of wood.  ;)  good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Willibow

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 04:04:59 am »
Thanks GB, I appreciate it.  In the future I'll ask such off-topic questions through private message. 
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline ThomasJ2352

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 12:59:18 pm »
Ok......used rawhide and tillered her up...51 lbs @28" so now its time for the polishing up....as boring as it is compared to most others
seen here I would like to put it in the monthly eval...in past bows I used the fuzzy part of velcro for the shelf however I think that might
not be in keeping with the point of the effort...and may disqualify the bow.....question....what would acceptable for shelf material? I have
seen felt used but not sure if thats ok....
thoughts?
thanks as always
Tom

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 10:13:09 pm »
I glue cork or leather for my shelves. Suede side of leather scraps for the pass.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.