Author Topic: Procesing staves  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Badger

Procesing staves
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:58:34 am »
        It seems like when I was younger I was looking for easier ways to do things. Now that I am older I find myself looking for ways to do things that will give me excersize as I am retired now. I wish I lived in osage country, I could have a complete excersize program all based on stave collection. Hiking in to find and cut staves, splitting them and hiking back out with them. Chasing the rings and draw knifing raw staves into bows.

All real good excersize. I never noticed it so much when I was still working but now after a good session on my shaving horse I feel all pumped up as if I was lifting weights. Some of you still working younger guys who collect staves might do good to take on an older retired protege to help process your staves. We actually appreciate the workout and have fun doing it.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Procesing staves
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:44:02 am »
Who wants to go to the gym when you can make bows, right?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:00:20 am »
Cutting and splitting staves gives me an upper body work out.  It used to really bother my back but since I built my splitting stand its helped out a lot. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
I've got a bunch I should be reducing, but I have too many other things higher on the priority list. Cut up blown down trees all day yesterday and today I'm installing a chain link fence... all good exercise I suppose.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
I played football and jumped on the track team in high school, and later roller bladed constantly and played semi-pro paintball during my college days. My upper body was never as chiseled as it is now after hand tooling bows for a couple years. Hand tools are the reason everyone's Grandpa had super-human strength and endurance.

If only my wife was impressed with big muscles instead of tall and lanky. :laugh: On second thought I suppose if she was into muscles, she might not have ended up my wife.

My mother and sister have always struggled with their weight. They buy diet meals, join weight-watchers, buy exercise equipment, and have even hired personal trainers. I invite them for a hike or to shoot the bows at least once a week but to no avail. Apparently, the easiest way to lose weight is to empty all the money out of your purse, which had to be more effective in the days of the silver dollar. Paper money barely registers on the scale so it requires considerable funds at this point in time.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 12:00:29 pm »
Osage outlaw-do you mind posting some pictures of your splitting stand?  My back would appreciate it

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 12:41:04 pm »
   I have trouble splitting some woods because of my back. I end up using a smaller sledge and just hitting it more times. Some wood I just give up on LOL. Most osage I split is just right, gives me a good workout without killing me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 12:43:20 pm »
  Outlaw, I would like to see your stand also, I kind of jury rigged a stand about waist high because of my back but I don't split near as many staves as you do.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:03:55 pm »
My yard is sloped.  I set two upright posts in the ground and two long runners.  They are level.  I drag logs out with my sled and up to the stand.  I roll them out onto the runners and to the end stops.  I can split them standing straight up.  I have zero back pain after I'm done.  It has really helped me out.  Another nice thing about it is I can roll the logs back and forth as I split them down both sides.  It let's me walk the split evenly down the log. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »
    Coolest thing I have seen this month!

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:19 pm »
Ohhhhh man, what I wouldn't give for some osage like that!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 02:13:34 pm »
i like the exercise that gets something done or makes something, win win for sure,, I try to use hand tools as much as possible for that reason,, pulling the bow to get it tillered sneaks up on you too,, I have not cut much wood in a while, but that is more than a work out,, those osage logs are can be challenging mentally and physically,,  :) they can break you hammer ,, your wedge,,, your chain saw or your truck,, :) really when you get a nice stave in the mail,, 90% of the work has been done for you,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »
i like the exercise that gets something done or makes something, win win for sure,, I try to use hand tools as much as possible for that reason,, pulling the bow to get it tillered sneaks up on you too,, I have not cut much wood in a while, but that is more than a work out,, those osage logs are can be challenging mentally and physically,,  :) they can break you hammer ,, your wedge,,, your chain saw or your truck,, :) really when you get a nice stave in the mail,, 90% of the work has been done for you,,

Thats why I never complain about guys charging good money for staves. A lot of work goes into harvesting and splitting. Hell in a lot of cases just finding the tree to cut down can be a lot of work and gas money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 02:38:19 pm »
It sure is tough work when you "soup to nuts" a bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 02:38:53 pm »
I hear Ya, I gotta home mountains to get to the good stuff! Then hike back down dragging what I can handle