Author Topic: penobscot bow  (Read 8670 times)

wpranch

penobscot bow
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:36:19 pm »
hey there anyone out there ever hunt with a penobscot ? I just started one and would like to hear how they are . I have enough problems getting my longbow through this north idaho brush ,looks like alot more things to snag and I started this one so I didnt have to build a new one for all three kids every year gosh dang they outgrow stuff fast
          Sean

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: penobscot bow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:36:38 am »
Hey Sean, interesting to see someone who shares the exact spelling of my name.
Sorry I can't really help you with your question, but I've heard they shoot relativly fast for thier weight, so it should make a good accurate hunting bow.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

nailbender

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:14:36 am »
  I hunted with my penobscot style bow this last season. We've got some pretty thick brush here in central Minnesota, as well. Didn't have any real problems with getting snagged up in the brush.
  Dale.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:37:51 am »
Hey Nailbender,
where you from in ctrl. mn,we could be neighbors.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

nailbender

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:57 am »
Sailordad, I live in Brainerd,Mn. Where are you from?
  Dale.

John R

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:12 pm »
I was pretty heavy in double bows about three or four years ago... Experimenting with geometrys, recurving the back bow, main bow etc... Plotting the F/D curve, all that happy stuff. With the right set up, you can get a very flat F/D curve from the initial draw to full draw, and I suspect that it's possible to have a really hefty initial draw with let off like a compound bow. It's pretty intense getting the back bow/Main bow weight differential right along with getting the geometry nailed along with making the sinew cables. It's one thing to make a bow, stick another on the back and call it a double bow, but it's an exercise in physics to actually see benefits beyond having a regular bow with the ability to alter draw weights by tensioning the back bow in different ways. Tom Brown Jr. described a survival bow in one of his books that was made out of green material and had a second bow to give it more oomph till the main bow lost moisture so it makes one wonder if there are actually three purposes or types of "Penobscot" bows or double bows...1) Adding a second bow to give a weak bow more power, 2) To give variable draw weight, and 3) To actually build a compound bow, and technically one could argue that a double bow that has a flat F/D curve or one that drops is a compound bow.

A lot of stuff to think about... Especially if one usually takes game at 15 to 25 yards which is easily done with a simple D bow.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:05 pm »
      Dale,
I'm from St.Cloud. The wife and I get up there fairly often in the summer. We jump on the vulcan,ride up there to play mini golf.

PEACE,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

wpranch

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:18:49 am »
 Wow
 Sorry  we have been snowed in the last two weeks , had 5 foot drifts across my driveway  , snapped an axle plowing out . thought I was going to have to put snowshoes on the horse's to get to work . Did not know you could spell "sean" any other way !!! Way to much fun !!!

wpranch

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 12:28:23 am »
I was pretty heavy in double bows about three or four years ago... Experimenting with geometrys, recurving the back bow, main bow etc... Plotting the F/D curve, all that happy stuff. With the right set up, you can get a very flat F/D curve from the initial draw to full draw, and I suspect that it's possible to have a really hefty initial draw with let off like a compound bow. It's pretty intense getting the back bow/Main bow weight differential right along with getting the geometry nailed along with making the sinew cables. It's one thing to make a bow, stick another on the back and call it a double bow, but it's an exercise in physics to actually see benefits beyond having a regular bow with the ability to alter draw weights by tensioning the back bow in different ways. Tom Brown Jr. described a survival bow in one of his books that was made out of green material and had a second bow to give it more oomph till the main bow lost moisture so it makes one wonder if there are actually three purposes or types of "Penobscot" bows or double bows...1) Adding a second bow to give a weak bow more power, 2) To give variable draw weight, and 3) To actually build a compound bow, and technically one could argue that a double bow that has a flat F/D curve or one that drops is a compound bow.

A lot of stuff to think about... Especially if one usually takes game at 15 to 25 yards which is easily done with a simple D bow.
It is more work too make two bows working in conjunction with each other , but on the other hand how much fun is it not to try something new especially if the wife approves !!!

wpranch

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 12:31:38 am »
  I hunted with my penobscot style bow this last season. We've got some pretty thick brush here in central Minnesota, as well. Didn't have any real problems with getting snagged up in the brush.
  Dale.
Glad to hear it hope I can have that luck , the elk I have been hunting have been getting alot of gun pressure .

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 02:34:23 am »
hey John R:

I'd be very interested in seeing some of the results of your double-bow experiment. I'm a bit more than half way through a BS in physics, so the physics of bows is obviously a bit of an interest overlap for me.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:01:07 pm »
I made a Penobscot- D recurve that bent too much inte the handle. Lashed a smaller bow to the back to salvage it. Bumped it up to 60# and the thing shot really nicely. I prefer just to up the weight and work into it, but I definately keep the idea of the Penobscot in the back of my mind for bows that need extra help to shoot well :). I like the idea of having a good back up to piking and heat treating... especially when the bows short and already toasted ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]