Author Topic: Is there a bow in here???  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Is there a bow in here???
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »
Maybe some of you remember this Hornbeam log that I acquired last fall.
Well, tonite I decided to split the thing to see what I had. Now, even tho I pay close attention to the self-bow build alongs etc, I don't know what I should do with this thing. The other half was riddled with large live knots so I'm pretty sure it's firewood.

But I took my spokeshave to this one and cleaned up the split just abit so I could get soem good picks.
What's your opinions? Should I look for a better stave?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:27:02 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Is there a bow in here???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:06:53 pm »
Split it again, and lay your bows out. Try the split with out the knot first. Then when youre done with that one start on the other. That limb knot might  dissapear  when you get to roughing your bow out.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:36:39 am »
I think you should be able to get a bow out of that stave. I would lay the bow out as far on the stave away from that knot as possible. Other then that the stave looks pretty clean. You'll need to heat the roughed-in bow and remove propellor which it looks like it will have. A form would be very useful for this if you've got one. You can remove propellor and add some reflex at the same time. I'd apply some cooking oil on the belly side of the bow prior to applying heat. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:41 am »
By all means go for it even if in the end ya fail you will learn so much.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:54 am »
Not sure, send it on over and I'll let you know  ;) ;D

Offline broad_head

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:59:55 am »
Hi
    If you are going to make a flat bow I would use a string line to get an idea of where to position the handle and mark the bow out on the stave as it is. I would not worry about the limbs if the twist is not to great. If you neck the wood out at the handle and steam it, you could introduce some reflex, be careful if you do this as to much can make tillering difficult.
                                                                                                                       Peter (UK)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:10:52 am »
Looks good enough for a bow to me. Make sure you are carefull when removing the cambium. Ironwood has very thin rings and you can go through the outer ring easily.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:17 am »
There is a bow in there if the bowyer can coax it out. Actually, am I missing something? That looks like a pretty good stave. Easternarcher, what are you looking at that seems daunting to you? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:26 am »
I can see one :),like Marc said be careful when debarking.Never had to chase a ring on IW.
It could be tough.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:53:14 am »
There is a bow in there if the bowyer can coax it out. Actually, am I missing something? That looks like a pretty good stave. Easternarcher, what are you looking at that seems daunting to you? Jawge

lol...George, everything. I've never built a selfie before so I'm imtimidated by what to start with.. And as I understand I should use the natural back for the backing. humps-bumps and all. I've already de-barked it as you can see. The split went very well I think. The other side has a lot of knots, so I'll likely toss that side.
Use heat to remove twist and induce reflex....all that is new to me I'm afraid. Also afraid that without a glued down backing, this thing will explode and crack my noggin.

Should I leave the whoops and doglegs in the bow or try to straighen it laterally?

Dimensions for layout of HHB would maybe help me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:57:37 am by Easternarcher »

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 12:01:25 pm »
Whoa now, easy there. Never toss a stave. As you grow in your abilities and confidence you may find this to be an exhilerating challenge later.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:20 pm »
Looks like there's a blank running right down the middle of that stave.

You can try and straighten it, doglegs tend to be corrected better than whoops.  I'd get it down to near dimensions before doing any straightening.

I am pretty picky when it comes to wood, I don't see a bow in every stave.  Some pieces are meant for the fireplace or the smoker.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »
Whoa now, easy there. Never toss a stave. As you grow in your abilities and confidence you may find this to be an exhilerating challenge later.

This was the other side before the split.....

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:30:52 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 01:25:12 pm »
Maybe a pair of billets from the clean end, if they don't warp in drying.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 01:29:47 pm »
Maybe a pair of billets from the clean end, if they don't warp in drying.

No worries about drying....this thing sat in a barn for the past 3-4 years.
Well now, I did not consider cutting it up for billets!

See, we all learn something new and see things thru other bowyer's eyes...it's great!