Author Topic: A new work shop  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Aries

A new work shop
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:38:28 pm »
Hey guys, my wife and I just bought our first house, and the debates have begun on how big of a shop we are going to have built.

Our new communities only regulation is to have the front of the building bricked up matching the house. I am currently operating out of my apartment garage which is a poorly ventilated 11x22 foot space. I can't wait to get this thing built as soon as we move into the new house.

My questions,  what sort of space are you guys operating out of and do  you have any suggestions on design or materals(metal vs wood)?  I would appreciate any Input. 
My wife's requests are that it doesn't take up all of our half acre lot and that it looks cute lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:41:36 pm by Aries »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Badger

Re: A new work shop
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:49 pm »
  i have always felt that if I had about 20X30 I would be pretty comfortable. I would use a covered patio type area for bandsaws and belt sanders instead of indoor if you have enough room. Of course dudt collection will solve most of that issue.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »
The formula for calculating your needed shop space is as follows:

[(W + S)*3]+U = Sq footage to build

Where W = a reasonable guess at the most possible Workspace you could ever imagine needing.
and S = a reasonable guess at the most possible Storage space you could ever imagine needing.
and U = a reasonable guess at the most possible Unplanned for misappropriation of your shop space, (most commonly perpetrated by spouses, bother-in-laws, and offspring).

Seriously though, build more now, worry less later!

...and OH! I nearly forgot to mention, ...put in a shower and commode if at all possible!  It is always nice not to have to walk into the house covered in saw dust and shavings.

OneBow

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »
Eric,
You forgot to factor in the variable SA=SF. 

(Space Available equals Space Filled...)  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »
Eric,
You forgot to factor in the variable SA=SF. 

(Space Available equals Space Filled...)  ;)

Where is the "Like" button?!?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:20 pm »
  I haven't had a shop in about 10 years. I have a 6X12 storage shed and most of my tolls on wheels, I have about 15X15 patio area to work in. So all my storage and tools go into a 5X12 shed. I have to throw away junk! and really could use another 5X12 shed just for storage.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:46:44 pm »
I dream of the day where I can build my own custom shop. I work out of my shed, half shared with my landlord. It's about 8'x6'. Pretty packed, I usually work outside. All my staves take up most that space, staves in my back room closet, washroom, front hallway, under my bed, staves staves staves!
Luckily some are my wives so she can't complain too much

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »
One bow I think I could get a shop with that formula only in my dreams! But I think you are definitely right about planning ahead for storage, I'm sure I'll end up sharing my space with lawn equipment etc.
I have always worked inside my shops I'd like to have a covered outdoor area on this one to take full advantage of those awesome spring and fall days
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »
My shop building is 28X30 with one side devoted to a work shop, about 14x28 inside, well insulated, heated and cooled, my dream shop.

The outside would meet your criteria.

Offline Pago

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »
Lots of space and lots of power and lots of outlets.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:09:30 pm »
More is always better. Do you build other things than bows? That's a big consideration. I think most of us could live pretty well in a 12x22 single stall garage, for only bow building. If you've got a full on cabinet woodworking shop and also build bows in it, obviously you're gonne need a lot more.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:31:05 pm »
My work shop is about 20' x 20' and I've been working in it for decades.  I use the overhead space for wood storage and have shelving and storage cabinets down one wall.  I have a table saw, lathe, cabinet makers workbench, band saw & drill press.  A couple of walls full of hand tools.  The space has worked well for me except when I build a large bed or table, per LittleBen's comment.

If you're going to use the space for lawn mowers, garden tools, etc, I would make it 24' x 30' if you have the space and funds.  No matter how large you build it, you'll fill it up.  Just plan the best you can and use the space efficiently.......and insulate it well.......and enjoy!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Aries

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »
Great points guys, I really am digging all the feed back I'm gonna have some good info to aproach my wife with now! ;-)

"See babe if you look at onebow's formula clearly we need to invest in an abandoned warehouse for my bow making projects!"
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 11:02:53 pm »
This is what i got right now I'm going to clean that shed out and run some power in it, it's this and less than half a single car garage but i do alright
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »
33 yards long from corner to corner is important so that you can shoot into a target indoors to test arrow flight....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.