Author Topic: Bow from Horsens fjord.  (Read 7965 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bow from Horsens fjord.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 11:36:38 am »
Markus,
    First of all very nicely done sir.  I am very curious to know if these style bows have a style name, perhaps from the many Viking writings? I understand that they are named for the sites they are discovered in, but am curious as to how the actual ancestors referred to them?
    Again, very well done the way you preserved the spirit of the type of weapon.
rich

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 11:43:57 am »
Nice recreation. Looks like you captured the shape and design of the old bow nicely. How does it shoot?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 04:36:46 pm »
Wow, congratulations, that's nice work and thanks for sharing this.

I'm very curious about more exact measurements (crowned back?) of the original elm bow. Elm and ash have very different properties, actually. Apple, rowan or wild cherry are supposed to be closer (more elastic) to elm than ash. 

As for the european hornbeam, I have a few logs drying, but it's never easy to find even a straightish piece of that wood. This is actually the first european hornbeam bow picture I've seen, and I'm curious to know how it shoots. It's said to be very hard wood. any comments there?

Offline Drewster

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 10:40:08 pm »
Markus, a most intriguing post......and a fine job of creating a bow in the style of the Horsens fjord bow.  The levers not withstanding, it's interesting how the inner limb shape is similar to the Sudbury bow found in New England some 7000 years later.  Must be something about that shape of limb that stands the test of time.

Thanks for posting and educating us about this discovery.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 11:21:05 am »
 SWEETTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Markus

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »
Hello again. :) There was a couple of questions concerning this bow, so I'll try to answer.
The measurements of the original is as follows, lenght tip to tip 166 cm(if missing part had same lenght as the remaining) handle 12cm lenght,narrow outer lever 26cm lenght. Limb width at widest point 5,5 cm. Cross section of wide limbs is flat oval. That is all measurements we have from the museum people at the time being, hopefully we will get more info soon. I do not know exactly were on the bow the measurements were taken.

Without shooting through a chrono I cannot say how the bows shoot compared to others, but the new Danish owners, who are experienced archers are thrilled with both of them.

The European Hornbeam who is a hard heavy wood was surprisingly easy to work.

We do not know if the ancients had names for the different bow types. The sagas mention names on some swords, axes and spears, but no names of bows. Today we usually name the various bow types after where they was found, like Holmegaard, Haithabu, Nydam and others.

I did not heat treat the belly.
Should I get some more info I will be in touch.
Markus.

Offline JonW

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 05:37:21 pm »
Cool bow Markus. I made this style out of Osage before I knew it was an actual archeological find. I like the shape a little more than a typical Mollegabet.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 05:56:15 pm »
Those both look really nice. Tillers look pretty spot on.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 01:53:44 pm »
nicely done sir  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Red-Beard_the_Gael

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the explanantion of the find. This is the style I think I want to attempt with the stave of black locust I just got. It's too short and I want to pretty much splice the levers onto the stave, just not sure how to splice quite yet.