Author Topic: Advice on hickory board bow dimensions  (Read 12366 times)

Offline chrisgedwards

Re: Advice on hickory board bow dimensions
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
Unfortunately I lost the boa last night... I'm making these bows at an artist community in Oakland called American steel. One of the 150 or so studios in the giant wharehouse is a burningman camp and artist/maker space called love potion. Access to tools there and collective wisdom is unbelievable, laser cutter, 3d printers, welding machines, forges... A lot of the burningman art cars and art come from American steel. So the community is extremely eccentric, I was wearing that boa while in a fur coat and pinstripes while ripping that wood on the saw etc, took it off to take the pic and it seemed fitting for the photos :-) there were three parties going on within about 100 feet of me, large flames flowing up to the ceiling and curling the paint every few moments.

Another collective there, the department of spontNeous combustion, specializes in making flame throwers and other fire artwork. Met a guy last night with a flaming top hat who I think I left my boa with...

There's something really amazing about being able to work on my bowyer skills while behind me a flame thrower is going off, someone's driving by in a giant skull, edm is playing, someone else is welding a giant metal sculpture while someone else is sewing up latex outfits. I'm suprised the boa is the only thing that got into the picture, there was a lot going on around me lol.

Everyone there loves the idea of making a bow, the primitive nature of them very much captures their imagination, even if the few I have are very poor indeed.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 10:50:54 pm »
oh... ok...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 11:35:34 am »
  You have a group in your area that makes wood bow, not sure how they would take to you wearing a boa but it might not bother them.

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »
Sorta funny that the boa gets more attention than the art car or flamethrowers, heh. I understand all people arnt as accepting of eccentricity, different lifestyles - what have you. I more than know how to be someone I'm not so that I can fit in around new people... Sad none the less.

I'd love to hear about the local group, someone that teaches at the crucible, also in Oakland, was telling me about a group of people that get together to build all sorts of primitive tools. I'd really enjoy learning proper stone knapping techniques, I'd like an atlatl, fire piston etc etc. Mountain men I think was the name? Very interested in local primitive hunter gather groups as well. Hopefully I'll make it by the shop tomorrow to start on a new piece off wood with the riser area not planed down so low before handle glued on.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 01:05:56 pm »
  I was teasing you a bit. I never make a bow with a glued on handle any thinner than 3/4" where I glue the handle on. This would be for a 50# bow no longer than 66". A lighter bow you might go a bit thinner or a shorter bow.

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »
No thinner than 3/4" at the handle? So, I've seen so many different builds for board bows, most of which planed the whole board (new to this site, this was elsewhere). If I have a 9" handle, 2" fade on each end (5" non faded length of handle) what distance would u recommend the board fade down to the 1/2" or so thick region? Would an inch be too short?

I may have my terminology wrong, when I say fades on the limbs I mean the limbs were parallel in width through the handle then the fades is where it starts start to taper down to 1/2" wide. Do the fades also indicate the region where the riser thickness goes from 3/4" (without glued handle) down to the thickness of the rest of the board? (Sorry if that was jumbled, I'm still waiting on the ttbb so I can learn proper terminology).

As far as the enter cut handle, I LOVE the way it looks, I'll try to cut it more off center next time. I of course will start messing around with other handle styles, there is something uncontrollably attractive about a long bow, with a D profile that shoots of the hand.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 01:43:21 pm »
  The way I do it is I glue an 8" X3/4" thick pice to the center of my board. After that dries I cout my thickness on the board to about 1/2". I start to angle my cut up at the edge of the 8" board I just glued on so my total thick area is 8" and includes 2" of fade on each side of the handle. The board I cglued on is not a bit shorter than 8' as part of the fade takes place on the original board.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
If you read my easy board bow build that i linked it will give you pics and measurements as far as the length of fades you can go as short as an inch to three with two maybe a nice length for a rookie, and i don't have a problem with the boa just hope it don't get hung up in the string on the loose :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Thanks again everyone, only place I know of in the east bay for quality wood is closed today. Hopefully tomorrow after work I can pick up some hickory board, post pics and get final reviews on the design before I cut/glue.

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 11:58:26 pm »
I've been very busy, haven't had a chance to return to American steel until today. Started a brand new bow, didn't even want to finish the last one.

2" wide, 70" end to end, 9" Purple Heart riser with hickory laminate on top, 1/2" thick limbs, fades start at 10" from center, .87 or so thick in riser. Thing is a beast, I'm putting smooth on the riser handle right now, hopefully before the party starts.

would love feedback!

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 12:47:22 am »
What do you mean fades start 10" from center?

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:52 am »
It's very possible my terms are still quite off. 10" from the center line on the bow (70" end to end so at 45" from opposite end) the width of the bow goes from the central 2" wide and starts to taper to 1/2" in width at the ends. Sorry the party has started here in the shop, my responses may be discombobulated but I'll do my best ;-)

Offline chrisgedwards

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:51 am »
Pic before I glued

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 01:50:27 am »
Oh ok thats not the fade that it the profile taper, the fades as most on here will tell you is where the handle fades or blends into the working limb from the side

Offline Glerian

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:31 am »
The fade is illustrated. It is the part of the bow that "fades" up into the handle. Or the handle "fades" into the limb, however you want to say it.
"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost