Author Topic: Dipping tubes  (Read 5458 times)

Offline DC

Dipping tubes
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:52:32 pm »
Is there any point in making dipping tubes for my own arrows or does a brush work just as well. I might make a dozen or two a year.

Offline basilisk120

Re: Dipping tubes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »
I stopped using a dipping tube a while back because they were messy.  I found that wiping on the paint or urethane with a rag or paper towel was quicker and bit cleaner over all and gave great results with the finish.  I have never had a problem with bubbles, runs or an overly thick finish. 

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »
I kind of thought so. I have seen tubes with a rubber scraper (rubber with a hole in it) but I thought that might scrape it too clean. I'm using bamboo arrows though so the scraper probably wouldn't work with the taper.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:25:40 pm »
I use Tru-Oil on boo arrows and wipe it on with my finger, same as with a bow
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »
I used the dipping tube from 3R and their recommended gasket lacquer.  Dozen arrows, three dips per arrow, 15 minutes max....IF I HADN'T HAD ANY COFFEE AND WAS SERIOUSLY SLUGGISH! Bang, done, move on.

Three dips leaves you with a beautiful glossy finish that is fairly tough. 

Now for the negatives.  If an arrow spends a little time in the grass and there is any moisture, the wood will swell and the finish will crack and peel off.  If you have to use a little heat to correct a bend in an arrow, the finish will immediately erupt in bubbles and you will have to scrape down the entire arrow to start over. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:47 pm »
One of my concerns was the thickness of the lacquer. While I've been waiting for responses I made a coupla arra's(I'm larning Southish). I used toilet paper to apply the stain and clear. Worked great. Not the crappy job you'd expect ;) ;) ;). A little stain on my fingers but no spills or messes.

There ya go JW, I'm sure I left you an opening or two in there >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »
It must be some kinda of crappy job if the toilet paper is leaving stains on your fingers!

(how was that?)

You can leave off with just two coats of the gasket lacquer and it isn't terrible thick.  I was just caught up in the "shinier is prettier" thing there for a while.  I did one set of presentation arrows with 6 coats of gasket lacqer and they positively looked like they were encased in Lucite or glass tubes!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:28:07 pm »
I'm kind of going for a primitive/ Oriental look. If I want arrows that look like plastic I'll use CF.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:34:42 pm »
I just use Polyurethane. Wipe it on, let it dry. Buff it with 0000 steel wool. Repeat 3 times. finish is tough, but pretty.

If I want a painted cap, I mask and use spray paint. (Rattle-can dip)

The only time I dip, is when someone wants swirl-painted shafts. Usually kids. ;)

---Ford---

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 08:55:43 pm »
The last few years I've been finishing cane arrows like this. I might dip the 8" or so on the nock end,but for the rest of the arrow,I put it on my homemade crester and apply the finish with a brush.You can put it on pretty thick,and the crester keeps the finish spread evenly. I even apply spar varnish like this.Just let it rotate long enough that it does'nt run. I like being able to apply a thick coat to increase arrow weight.   Works good for me. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:32 pm »
Dipping tubes are a mess!!! 
Spray or better yet hand rub finish...................never brushed a hole arrow.

You've got to decide if you want pretty arrows or practical arrows.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 11:57:28 pm »
I use pitch varnish on primitive arrows. Pitch dissolved in alcohol, pretty simple. I use it for sinew wraps on arrows too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:32 am »
I want beautiful arrows. Primitive practical arrows. But finished nice, no super slick plastic looking things. Know what I mean ;D ;D ;D  Arrows that get lost first time you shoot them outdoors >:( >:(

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 03:54:28 pm »
I bought a bunch of make-up removal pads at the dollar store. They work fine.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:26:30 pm »
That sounds like a good idea.......I'm going to rob my wife's stash and try them...   >:D
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking