Author Topic: Fast flight fears  (Read 15198 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Fast flight fears
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:23:55 pm »
  So I didn't purchase a spool of fast flight last year and opted for B55. The major factor in my decision was all the warnings associated with using fast flight . I still have a bunch left (B55), but I'm not super happy with it and the color is getting boring

Does anyone know the difference between astro-flight and fast flight? I plan on buying a spool of fast flight.

I have a maple bow that I want to string up with fast flight. It has no string overlay's(now anyway).  Do I need to put some on?

What (in your opinion) are the reasons someone would /should hesitate on using fast flight? (if any)

Thanks.

Offline dbb

Re: Fast flight fears
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »
fastflight,astro or d97 whatever the name its basicly the same for all purposes on a stickbow, strong lightweight and lowstretch.
All good things in my book,if you worry about it cutting in to your nocks,just pad the loops with some b55 and you are set.
and imo there is no reason not to use ff
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »
Use any of it you can find on sale, its all the same for the most part. If you don't have overlays you can make a 12 strand string and be fine with maple, or make a 6 or 8 strand string and pad the loops with that junk B50 you have.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:27 pm »
Ok astro is on sale, so I'll buy that instead.

make a 6 or 8 strand string and pad the loops with that junk B50 you have.

I have some decent serving thread, the color combo  of my useless B55 wouldn't jive with the bow. I usually serve my loops anyhow.

I wish a certain online archery store didn't put the dire warnings in. I wouldn't have wasted my time or money on such a frusterating product. The stretch on B55 is brutal.

Thanks for the assurance.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:56:06 pm »
I heard B50 is better than B55
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Green

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
Pearly....just to confirm for us noobs.  Pad the loops say, 14 strands of D10 padded to 20 and we're good without overlays of any sort on an Osage selfie?  I've got about 500 shots through my first one and have used a B55 string to this point.  I hate this crap and haven't used it on any bow in eons.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
I've used self nocks on every bow I've made except one. I've also made almost every one of my strings from ten or twelve strands of Force (Dynaflight) 10, and I've had no problems with nocks. It's about the thinnest I'd feel comfortable going for loops though. But 20 strands in the loops is not necessary.

Offline Green

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:04:10 pm »
Thanks NF......off to the string board then.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:02 pm »
Been using fast flight for 5 years. Never padded a nock never served a loop. Nevever had a problem even on white woods.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:20:37 am »
Wow, why all this dacron/ poly bashing? ;D
I love H.P. string materials, but where would I be or archery history be without it?

There are differences in the hp material, such as the percentage of the blends of vectran, dyneema
etc. Also diameters of the strand can very.

Astroflight is a good blend, and one I have made from and shot on my selfbows.o

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
They are pretty much all made of dyneema. The rest is just marketing.
No problems using it as everyone has said. It's probably good insurance to pad out the loops/ends, I personally make sure if got a total strand count of 12 minimum. However with well designed nocks it likely won't be problem if you don't.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 04:30:50 am »

I've used nothing else but FF since I first time tried and never had a problem. I always use overlays, but I've seen many Osage bows without and no problem. Overlays for sure wouldn't hurt on a maple bow.
Frank from Germany...

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 11:50:37 pm »
I've been using ff since pearlie talked me into it, i go ten strands of ff and two eight inch pcs of b-50 in each bundle both ends and double serve it, no problems with self nocks and no padding the loops on horn tips and i love it thanks pearlie  ;)
And for what it's worth b-55 is way better than b-50
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:19 am »
We all use D97 at TwinOaks, never had a problem that was string related. Love the stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
  So I didn't purchase a spool of fast flight last year and opted for B55. The major factor in my decision was all the warnings associated with using fast flight . I still have a bunch left (B55), but I'm not super happy with it and the color is getting boring

Does anyone know the difference between astro-flight and fast flight? I plan on buying a spool of fast flight.

I have a maple bow that I want to string up with fast flight. It has no string overlay's(now anyway).  Do I need to put some on?

What (in your opinion) are the reasons someone would /should hesitate on using fast flight? (if any)

Thanks.

You are making self bows, buy B50...
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell