Author Topic: farrier's or surform for total noobs? paracord?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline arachnid

farrier's or surform for total noobs? paracord?
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »
Hi all.
I've been offered to teach some guys to build bows. I'm thinking about a standard and simple pyramid bow build out of a white oak board.
As for tools, I haven't desided which of the two will be better in a total beginner's hand-  a farrier's rasp or a surform rasp. I need it to be the tool for major wood removal and roughing out, and for tillering (at least in the early stages). I want to keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible and with minimum of tools.

And while at it, since we won't have time to make strings, I've been thinking to let them use paracords as tillering strings and shooting strings (once the bows are finished). I intend to keep the bow to a max of 30-35# (we are talking of 16-17 years old guys).

Suggestions and thoughts please.

Thanks,

Dor

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: farrier's or surform for total noobs? paracord?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:51 pm »
Personally I wouldn't touch a Surform.. too flimsy, insufficient weight. With a farrier's rasp you can let the weight do the work... and if you tread on it, it won't break.
Hardest thing will be getting them to actually "see" when they "look". Maybe an example of a slight hinge or a stiff limb on a bow to show them.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:27:10 pm »
Dor, A Sureform can tear up splinters if you work against the grain. I think the farriers rasp would be a better tool for beginners.
Paracord makes a pretty good early tiller string but stretches too much for later tiller string or final string. If you make Flemish twist strings with one loop and tie a bowyers knot for the bottom that can be tiller string and final string too.  With a little instruction the new bowyers can build their own strings. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:18:10 pm »
I'd never used a farriers rasp before this weekend. I bought one on my way home. A much nicer tool for this sort of work that the sureform in my eyes. Don't have to worry about the blade cracking either. I keep breaking the sureform blades.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »
Interesting. LOl. I don' like rasps and use the surform.
With either one follow 10-20 strokes with either one with the same number using a scraper.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:54 pm »
I have both kinds of rasp and would suggest the farrier's rasp, especially since it has the two different sides.

Yeah, teach them to make strings too.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:47:19 pm »
Rasp. Find a farrier in your area and see if they will give you or sell cheap their used ones.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:51:09 pm »
String making is a skill that is quick to learn, and will save you lots of money over time. I like my rasp more than the surform.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:45:41 am »
Very well then, I guess the rasp won! Thanks a lot guys.
I you have more tips and things to keep in mind when teaching others, I'd like to hear (well.... read) them.

Dor

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:25:36 am »
I've got  1 or 2 in the bottom of my tool draw. Come by; you can have mine. :) Jawge
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:28:54 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:19 am »
I've got  1 or 2 in the bottom of my tool draw. Come by; you can have mine. :) Jawge

Thanks George! It`s only a 12 hour flight.....

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:40:40 am »
As a total noob myself I'd say the rasp. Built my first board bow with the surform and you can make it work, but when the going gets tough it doesn't step up. Ive recently invested in a farriers rasp and its probably the best tool Ive brought so far (draw knife in the post), much more versatile. I was surprised by how much wood it can take off (quickly) when roughing out, but it can also be used for more delicate tasks.

Farriers rasp and a cabinet scraper and I think your set, and if your making pyramid bows from boards I'd say gizmos all around  :) 

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
use half eye's string making tutorial here for making your strings: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44681.0.html

You just have to make sure to get the polyester artificial sinew, NOT the nylon stuff. the nylon stretches way to much, the poly works real well.  It takes all of 10 minutes to make a string this way and for a lighter weight bow, 6 or 7 strands would do it just fine.  Might want to go 8 just to have a fatter string.

Thanks for this tutorial again Rich!  I do all my strings like this now and love em!  Now, to be fair, I've only ever used Dacron (B50/B55), no fastflight for me yet, but the Tandy artificial sinew I have (polyester) works great for me and is at least as good IMHO as the B50/B55 I've used.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline arachnid

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 02:58:15 pm »
WOW!
I probably missed half-eye`s string tutorial when he posted it. It does look super easy... I have to try it.
I guess a gizmo will be very helpful for new guys.... I still use it myself...

Offline Pago

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »
Rasp and gizmo here.