Author Topic: First Bow, could use some critique on the tiller  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Grizman

Re: First Bow, could use some critique on the tiller
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:54 pm »
Well thanks to all of you for your input, very nice to have those experienced eyes having a look see. And yes we are blessed here with some nice Yew, the bow in the pic's is 65 to 68 rings per inch, got another 4 staves dried and ready to go. Split them out of logs so they have some character to them, although, this character wood thing just about finished me. Got her oiled up now and will throw on a quick handle to shoot her in more. Thanks again everyone, I am humbled...
Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 04:42:39 am »
Looks fine,shoot and enjoy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:07 am »
Hand shock?
Are the tips a tad heavy? At that draw weight the tips can go down to pencil size with a full horn nock (or overlay) and taper down from the last 5" or so.
Even 100# warbows have tips about 10-12mm round. The Mary Rose bows were only 1/2" at the base of the horn nock.
nicely taperd tips look good too, I often see ELBs where it looks like someone has jsut whittled down the last inch or so and stuck on a gob of horn >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:29 am »
Looks mighty good now.

Offline Grizman

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:59:49 am »
Del, I measured the tips, top one 5" from string nock groove its 17mm wide x 13mm thick tapering to 12mm wide x 12mm thick at the nock. Bottom tip at 5" is 17mm wide x 14.5mm thick tapering to 12.5mm wide x 13 mm thick. So your saying I could finesse these down some and erase any trace of handshock. I was also thinking i might heat them and flip them a bit to get my poundage up a couple of pounds. Would i do this after tapering them or before?

Cheers

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
Tiller looks really good to me.  Flipping the tips on an Elb is a risky endeavor.  You could run into some stability issues with the narrow profile.  Josh