Author Topic: loop reinforcement  (Read 4551 times)

Offline tanner

loop reinforcement
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »
Hey guys - I've been making my own strings for awhile and I'm starting to notice that I'm getting early wear/failure on the upper loop (the one I slip of of the shoulder to loosen the string before storage). I'm curious what you all do (if anything) to reinforce your loops. It had also crossed my mind that maybe I'm getting the upper loop too tight and that by making it a little bigger it might come off/slide a little easier with more room? I don't see/feel any sharp edges or burs on the shoulder. I think it's just the repetition of stringing/unstringing that's getting it. My setup details:

12 strands of B50
flemmish twist bowstring - Clay Hayes's method from youtube
55lb fiberglass recurve (I know - I didn't make this one)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Blaflair2

Re: loop reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:58:30 pm »
I believe 12 strands is a little light. I usually use 14-16 strands.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:34:17 pm »
B50?

Well there's your problem ;)

I usually do sixteen strands of D97 just for volume, the material is strong enough to make ridiculously small strings.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »
I make continuous loop strings which have served loops.
I expect a served loop would be better. ...dunno if it is feasible with a Flemish twist. Well, I s'pose it's feasible but rather tricky.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »
Be sure all the corners and edges of the bow, tips especially, are rounded well and smooth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tanner

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:09:15 pm »
Thanks guys!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:48:01 pm »
I have had no problem with a B50 string on my main bow for 12 years.  The edges are rounded nicely and sanded to a fair-the-well. As for building them up, yeah I suppose you could do that, too.  Adding extra weight at the string or worse yet at the tips is the last thing I would opt for.  Lotta ways to skin that cat, and most of the different choices are not going to make drastic problems.  the difference in arrow cast from a 12 strand B50 versus a 10 strand is not going to make or break a 20 yd shot on a deer.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline thomcout_96

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 06:07:36 pm »
You could use what's called a turkish loop. Go look this out on this site
http://heartwoodbowsonline.com/wordpress/?p=489

Offline Drewster

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »
Tanner, 12 strands of B50 is a bit light for a 55# bow, but still you shouldn't be getting that kind of loop wear.  I would increase my strand count to at least 14 and recheck all the edges on your sting nock.  Yeah, a bit larger loop might help a bit too.  Hope you figure out the problem.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:18:43 pm »
I have been using 10 strand on 55# with no problem.  Each strand is about 50# breaking strength and you want 4X the draw weight in tensile strength.  10 strand would be 500 lbs tensile strength. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:17 pm »
I have built up Flemish loops by just adding a smallish lengths (6" or a bit more) to the end I start the twisting at.  Effectively, if you want a 10 strand string you would still make it but you may make it 14 strand (or whatever) just at the loop and for a small section afterwards. I find it quicker and simpler than reinforcing a Flemish loop after it is made, and the extra strands get woven into the string pretty cleanly.

SOM

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:16 pm »
Adding material or changing the type of material doesn't eliminate the problem of wear. Are you sliding the loop down the limb? The problem is probably just the size of the loop relative to the outer limb width and possible roughness of the limb edges, not the actual nock area.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »
I make 10-12 strand D97 strings.  I make a lot of them.  Roughly 150-200 a year.  I pad the loops to make them 16 strand at the loops.  Pappy and other friends of mine are still shooting strings I made several years ago.  That seems to work for me.   :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee