Author Topic: Question about Hickory Pyramid Bow Limb Reduction  (Read 1860 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Question about Hickory Pyramid Bow Limb Reduction
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:07:36 pm »
Hey guys, I've a riddle for you.

I read in TBB 1 that with hickory and some other white woods, the growth rings will track down the center of the belly side of the limbs if tapered and tillered correctly. According to the photos in the book, it should look like a series of arrows pointing toward the tips. Does that make sense?

I'm working on a stave with some slight prop twist and my thought was that the belly should be parallel to the back, so I'm following the twist as I reduce thickness. However, I'm noticing that the rings are centered on one side of the limb, not the center of the limb. If I were to follow the TBB advice and center the rings, I'm fairly certain one side of the limb will be thicker, resulting in stiffness on that side.

My question is, do I continue what I'm doing or center the rings? Am I missing some important tidbit on wood density that may cause one side of a limb to be thicker?

Thanks for any opinions.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline DC

Re: Question about Hickory Pyramid Bow Limb Reduction
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:25:53 pm »
That flame look only happens on perfect wood. Dead straight, no lumps or bumps. They don't make much wood like that any more :( :(

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »
DC,

Thanks so much. I figured tht was the case. I'll keep on keeping on then.  8)
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »
I ruined a couple of nice osage bows early on trying to get the "feathering" down the limb as stated in TB1. I have since discovered that there are several things in the book that just aren't so, leaving an island of extra growth ring wood over around a pin cluster on osage is one of them.

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »
It's a relief to know I didn't ruin an otherwise perfect stave. Thanks for the info!
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:44:59 pm »
DD
If I understand your issue correctly.........It is possible to have "flames" running to the side of the limbs with the same thickness.  When laying out the center line (vertical) of the bow limbs and not following the crown or crest of the stave could cause the problem. It can be difficult to get the center line down the crown on a propeller twisted stave.  The results if you were keeping the "flames" down the center would be one side of the limb thicker than the other.

Sorry for the lengthy response, and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:51 pm »
  A pyramid bow is also said to not need belly taper so you wouldn't have those feathered growth rings anyway. ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »
Yep your right PatM, I missed the word "pyramid" ........because it was in the title.   ;D ;D >:( ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking