Author Topic: Bear Grease  (Read 13685 times)

paleryder

Bear Grease
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
I'm a relative new bowyer having built about four bows. I'm curious about the use of bear grease by Native Americans. I'm not sure why they used the bear grease. I've seen some reference to the bows being "seasoned" with bear grease. Why was the grease used? Was it merely to reduce/regulate the loss of moisture because they shaped the bow early in the process or does adding grease and heating it do something beneficial to the wood? Thanks.

Aidan

Offline DanaM

Re: Bear Grease
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
Welcome to PA paleryder, I do believe they used bear and other animal grease as a waterproofing,
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

paleryder

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:31:03 pm »
Dana,

Thanks. I vaguely remember reading that after roughing out the bow, the Indians would coat them in bear grease and hang them somewhere warm. I believed that this was to reduce the loss of moisture because they reduced the limbs before the wood was fully seasoned.

I did infer from another article that the grease was used later on for waterproofing. Are you familiar with this process? Is it any better than modern sealants/oils/varnishes? I've never applied heat to my bows for this purpose.

Thanks again.

Aidan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:37 pm »
No I'm not familar with it but hoefully bob or jamie will see this they are intimately familar with it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:44:09 pm »
it had some medicinal purposes too, a liitle to fix an ear ache...(but i dont know why)

also use some grease and rub it into a limb if you are using heat to bend it.

also i have found it very usefull in "lubricating" stone points.  just like with anything else i believe a lubricated stone point will penetrate further  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:53:05 pm »
Bear grease is an excellent waterproofer. I doubt that it's as good of a moisture vapor barrier as modern finishes, but it will definitely keep water out of things. I used to use it to waterproof my leather boots, and it worked great for that. A friend of mine was rendering some bear grease out on his deck when he accidentally spilled it. He said that rain water beaded up on that spot for a year or more. With the grease finishes, it's more of a continuous process-regular greasings, warmed and rubbed into the wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:05:47 pm »
...........Like Hillbilly said. Additionally, I think that the grease replaces the water in the wood so that the cells dont collapse when a potential bow is boned hard again an again as it dries. I have been using bear and hawg grease on bows fer a long time. No complaints.There is another thing here. Bows were greased and then placed ta warm at top of lodge by smoke hole. Formaldehydes are in the smoke and they play a role in this but thats another story. Did the foks that did this know that ? Leave that up ta y'all. Hmm......... dont know about modern finishes bein' more effective..........bob
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:20:57 am by Kowechobe »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:06:29 pm »
it had some medicinal purposes too, a Little to fix an ear ache...(but i dint know why)

Indians also used ones own Urine to fix an ear infection and other Infections too....but I aint about to do that....even though I am 1/4 Ojibwa!!! but I can tell you that Grease mixed with Bees Wax....and either Hand rubbed...or heated in with a Hair Dryer will make a good Waterproofing and wood conditioner...but like Hillbilly said....it has to be done regularly....but I like these finishes better than Urethanes and Varnishes myself
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

paleryder

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:11:59 pm »
Thanks, guys. Your answers have been very helpful.

Aidan

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:16:05 pm »
Bob, I'd like to see a test on the grease vs. urathane or something for vapor barrier. I know that anything couldn't be better at keeping pure water out than bear grease. Plus I like the idea of using something out of a bear a lot better than using something out of a can.  :) I remember once when I was a kid my mom was cooking a big greasy bear roast in a pressure cooker when the little hooey on top got stopped up and the whole durn thing exploded. We had a waterproof kitchen for a long time.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 01:14:03 am »
Steve, Was that Barry knocking over the bear fat renderings? It was on Alan's porch in H'ville. The spot is still water proof. ;)
  Like Steve said, I believe bear grease prevents water from soaking in to wood but doesn't prevent the water vapor from coming out. It allows the wood to dry slowly and evenly so the wood doesn't check. That is actually an ideas situation for curing wood...and then later Bob can tell us about the Formaldehydes. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 01:39:34 am »
Bear grease supposedly has a very pleasant, mild taste (in addition to it's "water-regulating" abilities).  This would be especially beneficial if you like to hold arrows in your mouth while shooting....

I'm gettin' some so I can experiment with it.  I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:42 am »
Pat, yea, that was Barry. Why buy Thompson's water seal when you can just rub a bear all over your deck?  ;D

Bear grease supposedly has a very pleasant, mild taste (in addition to it's "water-regulating" abilities).  This would be especially beneficial if you like to hold arrows in your mouth while shooting....

Bear grease is good for cooking. I've eaten quite a few biscuits that were made with bear grease for shortening.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:29 am »
I never used bear grease but have used bacon grease on bows and arrows. Excellent waterproofer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 12:58:23 pm »
Another reason bear grease was used is that there is so much of it. If you have ever skinned a bear in the fall you understand.